“I have received a few threats… The proper way to handle it is not to whine about it in print.” -Charles Johnson 29 October 2004
Death Threats Ausador

Loyal Lizard-Lapper Ausador’s comment appeared on an LGF page posted by fellow lizard Skip Intro decrying the vile comments posted on-line to a 5-year old *ahem* celebrity. Disregarding the the ethics/morality of putting a very young child in such a situation in the first place (and allowing a  pre-schooler internet access?) Ausador extrapolated the argument to claim that right-wing public figures exploit random personal threats to achieve the status of victimhood.

Heh.

Death Threats James

That was enough to perk our interest, don the BRC wetsuits and take an un-detected chilly dip into the dark and dank corners of The Swamp. Here’s what we netted (below the break):

13 Charles Sun, Jul 28, 2002 10:06:53am
Just to let our readers know, Mr. Bradley tried to post a reply a little while ago, but it was blocked. He was using an account with an IP address that was in a group of Saudi Arabian IPs we banned several months ago when we began receiving threatening messages from an anonymous Saudi moron.

I’ve emailed Mr. Bradley to ask him to use one of the accounts he used yesterday instead. Stay tuned.

87 Charles Mon, Jul 29, 2002 5:54:10am
Steven Chapman wrote:

And what’s all this talk of allowing and not allowing certain people to comment? Is he suggesting that all the pro-Saudi, pro-Palestinian, anti-Zionist comments have been expunged?

As Robert mentioned above, I had to block a group of IP addresses from Saudi Arabia after receiving numerous threats. But it’s dead obvious that I certainly do not delete pro-Saudi, pro-Palestinian, or anti-Zionist comments.

57 Charles Tue, Sep 24, 2002 3:51:56pm
Just noticed as I was browsing our stats that Siraj has been trying to post a comment, but he ran into our block on the main Saudi proxy server, which we had to put in place after receiving threats and other unpleasantries from Saudi Arabia.

Siraj: post your comment with the account you used earlier today, and it will be accepted. You have not been banned.

18 Charles Tue, Oct 29, 2002 8:49:15am
When I first posted that, the 10K-15K figure was the high mark. Now it’s the daily average, and the general trend is increasing. Looks like this month we’ll have had close to 300K visits.

And James is right: I don’t like to whine about the threats I receive.

47 Charles Thu, Jan 23, 2003 1:20:40pm
“truth teller”: Hard to believe Allah would reveal your whereabouts to the likes of me, isn’t it? Wouldn’t it be a real kick in the nads if she wasn’t on your side after all?

I know considerably more than I’ve shared here, too; and I’m honestly wondering if it might be a good idea to drop an email to the abuse department of your organization, and let them know about your threats.

4 Charles Thu, Oct 16, 2003 1:23:46pm
And now the lovely people at Atrios are threatening my life:

Charles Johnson deserves an honor killing.

87 Charles Sun, Aug 22, 2004 3:52:30pm
I’ve alerted Hosting Matters to the threats against LGF and Instapundit.

40 Charles Fri, Oct 29, 2004 8:11:54am
I DO dismiss it out of hand. This tactic is so common with people like Sharlet; I have seen it again and again. They claim to have received radically hateful email, but can never prove it.

Look. With the pro-Israel bent of this weblog, I have received more than my share of hate email. But I have never received one that said anything like what Sharlet claims.

I have received a few threats, and here’s the key fact: sending such email is illegal. The proper way to handle it is not to whine about it in print — it should be reported to the authorities, and to the sender’s ISP.

150 Charles Fri, May 26, 2006 7:40:01am
Imagine if you received a message like this. Would you think it was a threat?

It says: “the day when you pigs get your throats cut…” That’s a promise, not just a fond hope.

If we want to split hairs and parse the hateful message, true — it doesn’t specifically say “I’m going to cut your throat.” But I’m not trying to prove this in a court.

I think most people recognize a threat when they see one.

214 Charles Fri, May 26, 2006 9:02:12am
Note: there’s no doubt whatsoever that the threat came from a Reuters account.

269 Charles Fri, May 26, 2006 10:03:11am
To clarify another point — this threat wasn’t sent through email. The sender used the LGF contact form in our left sidebar, which calls a PHP script that passes the message on to me via email. That means the email comes from the LGF server, not from someone’s personal email account. The email address the sender used is fake — the LGF contact form doesn’t verify the address provided by the sender.

72 Charles Tue, May 30, 2006 7:27:08am
Earth2moonbat: no — I meant that Reuters says they know who used the LGF contact form to send the original threat. The email from the anonymous remailer is a different matter, and can’t be traced.

54 Charles Sat, Jun 24, 2006 4:47:48pm
Killgore Trout wrote:

Any suggestions/guidelines for us to keep your contact with the FBI to a minimum?

Well yes! Since you asked…

The reason for these calls was that LGF readers had posted (or used our ’email an article’ feature to send) explicitly threatening messages. With our traffic, there’s no way for me to catch and delete every such message, so the way to keep my contact with the FBI to a minimum is to remember that not everyone reading your angry vent is a friend.

362 Charles Sun, Oct 7, 2007 8:19:31pm
And just for some context — I have previously filed complaints with the U Windsor campus police, after receiving threats originating at their campus.

Complaints that were ignored, and never followed up.

74 Charles Fri, Nov 23, 2007 5:29:56pm
re: #66 Kirly

re: #58 Fenway_Nation

Whatever happened to photos from the head Lizard’s bike ride or snapshot of the beach or something?

yeah, Charles, no more time for your rides?

I don’t post about my rides any more because I received some very specific threats.

92 Charles Sun, Jan 27, 2008 11:17:28am
re: #87 Wishbone

Thanks, that clarifies things. So a complaint has been filed, that’s what’s going on.

And frankly, after that threat he posted against me, I’m not surprised. I support free speech, including criticism of Islam, but clearly this is a guy who is capable of crossing the line into threats and incitement.

229 Charles Wed, Mar 12, 2008 10:14:34pm
re: #226 song_and_dance_man

No wonder Charles hardly rides his bike anymore.

Oh, I do ride my bike. I just don’t post about it, after receiving some very specific threats from another creep who was banned.

244 Charles Wed, Mar 12, 2008 10:24:52pm
re: #239 realwest

Well he may have been brain damaged but he made some pretty damn specific threats against Charles. I distinctly remember that several of us urged Charles to find armed bodyguards who could ride with him or at the very least report him to the authorities, that’s how specific the threat was.And, iirc, that truly deranged individual didn’t try to sneak back in here, either.It’s one of Charles’ more admirable qualities that he keeps on keeping on with this GREAT blog, even in the face of direct, personal and violent threats to himself.

Actually, that one did try to sneak back in at least twice.

94 Charles Wed, Apr 9, 2008 1:45:06pm
re: #83 Sol Roth

Quite honestly Charles, I’ve wondered what happened to the “Cycle of Violence” threads. I miss the fascist headwinds.

Had to stop posting about rides, after threats.

58 Charles Fri, Apr 25, 2008 4:00:03pm
re: #51 Cognito

Please do forward this to the police if you haven’t, Charles. It’s a clear personal threat.

Appropriate measures will be taken.

17 Charles Sun, Jul 13, 2008 3:01:42pm
The bicycling posts have stopped, by the way, because I received threats.

P.S. The “bicycle threat” was posted by someone who jokingly fantasized that one day he might throw a stick between the front wheel spokes of Charles’ bicycle. To Charles, that’s a death threat, and in his little green twisted mind he’s awarded himself The Victimhood Merit Badge.

60 Comments on ““I don’t like to whine about the threats I receive.” -Charles Johnson 29 October 2002”

The stick would have probably been deflected harmlessly aside by the baseball cards clothes-pinned to your wheel-hubs. You didn’t have to use this excuse to stop riding. The hundred or so pounds you’ve gained since are surely more of a threat to your health, than some joke on the internet from a guy who lives on the other side of the country.

Rumor has it that he’s got such a low center of gravity these days he’d never flip over the handle bars. Instead, the stick would just strip out his spokes leaving him steering a hula hoop until his fork plowed a 30-foot long trough in the asphalt.

3. Doppel milyoholio says:

This is really classic Chunky, as he displays his total lack of self-awareness. At least he recognizes that it’s whining, when he boasts about his alleged death-threats. Now that we know what a lying liar who lies constantly he is, it appears very doubtful that he EVER received any real death-threats, from Saudi Arabia or anywhere else. I believe he made up that stupid story about the Muslim kid pointing his finger at him like a gun, too…that one never rang true to me, even back in the day when I thought Chunky was sane.

I think Fatass saw one of these videos on Youtube, and it turned into a vividly realistic memory. His brain has some weird quirks like that.

This is a metaphorical representation of Our Fatass, dancing as fast as he can, trying to keep track of his own lies. Funny, yes, but also sad in a way.

6. Because says:

Chuckles the legal scholar doesn’t know the difference between illegal and actionable.

7. LGFiscluelss says:

• trebob says:

Charles is so green with envy he is about to have a stroke over Greendwald’s new job. He’s even been chastising the libs for looking Greenwald’s way.

What’s that Charles? Korean take-out getting too expensive?

8. Because says:

What’s up with the spam filter? Is ‘bum’ a bad word now?

9. Because says:

Suggestion to Briareus: add the latest squeal from Chuckles about how posting his picture is a death threat.There was something about it in the last thread or two.

10. iSpeakJive says:

What do people do when they gentrify? They remodel. What do remodels need? Architects. The dude is arguing against his own profession! He’d rather be a wino on twitter all day. Amazing.

Gus SHOULD feel ill. Scott Walker went on to become a highly successful Governor. Gus went on to be a broke, drunken, useless derelict.

They both end in, “ick.”

13. d says:

LGFiscluelss :Promoted to front page-a very ironic post considering the great success of Obamacare. I mean Chunk can’t be that fucking oblivious, can he?

UPDATE: It appears the website is preliminary to a major rollout later this year. Judging from The Intercept’s “About” page, Greenwald, et al., wanted a platform for more intel provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, and may not have prepared well for heavy web traffic.

Translated: As usual, turns out I’m a giant jackass

Greenwald’s new $250M site gets heavy traffic, even before it’s actual rollout. The Swamp gets less and less traffic, no matter how desperately Fatass trolls his imaginary (they don’t know who he is) rivals.

This really is the feel-good story of the day, if not the month: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world/middleeast/suicide-bomb-instructor-accidentally-kills-iraqi-pupils.html

Reminds me of when the asswipe-Weathermen blew themselves up, in the ’70’s. Good things happening to good people. 😆

15. Doppel chin says:

Octopus :
    Maybe in Gussie’s gin-soaked skull, the term “architect” is synonymous with “derelict.”

16. Because says:

Bro-Opt the Football player with a tweet, yet?

18. ChenZhen says:

Greenwald’s “Intercept” site apparently has Johnson all lathered up and drooling; this will get his obsession burning white hot. The new Kos. Or, I mean the new Breitbart. Whatever. Sure to provide many more desperate attempts at returning to (the perception of) relevance.

Should be fun to watch.

That just happened. 😆

I applaud people for working out, as a rule, but don’t be TOO proud of yourselves, California kidz.

20. Because he said 'koch' says:

21. trebob says:

Charles should have kissed some more butt and he could have had he’s pic on this page.

22. iSpeakJive says:

(C.L. got the vapors so bad she had to logoff after Killgore “LOL’d” at Dennis Rodman puking and pooping all over his Nork hotel. You can’t even laugh at Dennis Rodman over there, forchrissakes. Sarah Palin, sure! D.R., no way!)

*********************************************************
    Curious Lurker
    re: #132 Killgore Trout

lol

HTF can you lol at that? (That was a rhetorical question—don’t bother answering.) I dislike Rodman intensely, but the man has a serious addiction that’s causing him to publicly debase himself. Watching a fellow human being self-destruct is shouldn’t be a cause for laughter, no matter how much you dislike him. That’s just sick.

I’m not gonna hang around and read this kind of bullshit. BBL

*********************************************************