Update: WordPress.com Commenting Changes (the Slightly Less Confusing Version)

It’s been a few days, and it appears that WordPress.com is committed to this new login requirement for commenting with Gravatar and WordPress.com accounts (filling the commenting form with phony and non-registered email addys still works the same, and gives you the auto-generated avatar).

I’ve been watching this FAIL in slow motion, and the main thread on the support page is now over 200 comments worth of confusion and outrage. It seemed clear that the people in change over there were gone for the weekend, but now I’ve seen a slight improvement (but still a FAIL). Now, if you try to comment with a gravatar/wordpress-registered email addy in the comment form, the error message looks like this:

(I think this is at least the 3rd incarnation of this error message)

So, even if you’re not given a login form underneath that message, or given a link to a login page (either of which would have seemed to make more sense), you CAN hit that “back button”, and you shouldn’t be forced to re-enter the content of your comment. So…

Hit the “back button”, and then click the “W” icon in the comment form:

This will open a login window. Fill out the username/password, and you should be able to return to your comment and click the “post comment” button without having to re-enter anything.

I’m embarrassed to say that I forgot about the “W” icon in our previous instruction thread (as admin, I had always used the link in the sidebar, since it took me to the DoD dashboard), and this should be a little easier for our visitors.

For the time being, I’m placing the reminder message above the form, so hopefully you guys/gals will make sure to log in first and save yourself the extra steps.

28 Comments on “Update: WordPress.com Commenting Changes (the Slightly Less Confusing Version)”

1. Pig says:

They must have bought a used correlater tool fron somewhere…….

It sucketh….

3. P. Ness Lowell says:

So now I have to figure out how to unregister my addresses from gravitar.

4. artiefufkin69 says:

If I can log in and comment with only an additional 10 seconds, then it’s really is easy. I am not very tech savvy.

It’s a heck of a lot easier than waiting for a page to load at little green popups

• dwells38 says:

Good point. Before I righteously flounced in style I noticed that effing hell-hole would not load comments on my work computer. At all. Now I notice it does but it takes like, five minutes or some such. It’s because of all the ads and flashing carp. And when you finally get it loaded you get chased around, insulted and mocked by CJ and his posse of microencephaloids for voicing his own opinions circa 2005. Fricking idiotic.

• doppelganger says:

well little greenfootballs is very anti-work. none of the members of that blog or their fat commander in chief know what it means to work, so therefore it’s quite difficult to access it now from a work computer.

I honestly can’t stomach it to even check. I mean I can read the daily kos, huff po and the other moonbat sites. but LGF: not so much. the stupid, it burns!

5. dwells38 says:

Thanks Chen for following it all and explaining. I just knew some WP bullshit changed and I needed to jump thru a new hoop obviously. New day, more carp! No big surprises.

Since they’re free I’m not going to bitch too much.

6. doppelganger says:

I guess it wasn’t as easy as I thought!

7. Minnow says:

Those WordPress Bullies. They must be right wing.

Let’s trash ’em!

(Oh wait, they’re still alive. Nevermind.)

8. Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

OT –

We have …

Then we have …

Charles Tue, Aug 11, 2009 6:58:23pm

I’m a gun owner, by the way. The retired sergeant who taught my ROTC gun safety class in high school would have beaten that Ron Paul-voting “sovereign citizen” loser into a pulp, the first time he showed a sign of acting like that.

… discuss …

• dwells38 says:

Good for me but not for thee!!

CJ a hypocrite??? NEVAH!!!

• P. Ness Lowell says:

ROTC gun safety class? I’m smelling some organic stuff.

• garycooper says:

I smell it, too. Did he then follow that ROTC training into the military, and then Vietnam? Not that everyone who served in the military went to Vietnam (like my older brother), but Chunky never served in the military. He served in a jazzier way. He took a dishonorable discharge from that jazzy world, too…along with a stolen VW.

• Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

I just love Chuckie going all Steven Seagal with his approving description about how some offending entity would be met by extreme violence imparted by the romantic figure of said “retired sergeant.”

Mui Macho – Jack Lord style.

But we must all look out for gun kooks and violent overtones from the Tea Party.

Chuck wraps himself multiple times in the “retired sergeant” thing and must have gotten updings-o-plenty each time. Just search the comment file for ROTC. His “Mossberg” comments are also a joy to read.

Yo Lizards – self-deprogram. Just leave the site for a few weeks and read DOD.

• iSpeakJive says:

Chunkie was fooled by the right wing all the way back in high school?!?!?

9. garycooper says:

Classic Pat Condell, laying on the truth:

Chunky and his loozard-minions should be forced to watch this, with their eyelids propped-open “Clockwork Orange”-style.

10. screw’m and the shitland they screw on Thursday nite

11. kimahall says:

Thank you for this information! I have been frustrated this week as I have been unable to leave comments. I used your directions and-voila!-comments enabled again.

12. Alberta Oil Peon says:

And where do I find the WordPress password that I don’t think I ever had?

13. Alberta Oil Peon says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :
    (I think)

Well, let’s see shall we. Problem is, I use a different username at another WP blog.

14. Alberta Oil Peon says:

Alberta Oil Peon :

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :
    (I think)

Amazingly, that worked. Now, how do I get rid of that intensely annoying black WP toolbar that eats up so much screen real estate?

15. What if I don’t actually have a WordPress.com or Gravatar account? I have neither, yet I am unable to leave comments using my email address/name/website. (I even tried the whole “forgot my password” fix – just in case – and was told that there is no account associated with that email.)

• Theresa-

When you use your email, do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

• E. Sophi Guss says:

If the email address is registered with any of these places, it can’t be used without logging in ever. The address is tainted because it’s on file. You just have to make something up like abc@def.com to comment here, but that might not work everywhere. I got bounced out of a different WP site for doing that.

Get a new yahoo account, and it should work. I suspect that gmail is registered, and won’t work.