Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I love my job. I love fighting for what I believe in. I love having fun while doing it. I love reporting stories that the Complex refuses to report. I love fighting back, I love finding allies, and—famously—I enjoy making enemies.

Three years ago, I was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy who linked to stuff on a very popular website. I always wondered what it would be like to enter the public realm to fight for what I believe in. I’ve lost friends, perhaps dozens. But I’ve gained hundreds, thousands—who knows?—of allies. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror, and I sleep very well at night.

For those who might have missed the BlogMock Radio Show last October, Andrew Breitbart was cordial enough to call in. Here’s a link to the archived show [jump to 07:00].

Most of you are not aware that Andrew also had a special request for The Boiler Room Crew – a project for Big Journalism. His passing will not cancel the project, indeed it is about wrapped up. Once editing and fact-checking is complete we’ll forward it to Editor in Chief Dana Loesch.

138 Comments on “Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012”

1. garycooper says:

All of us need to unleash our inner-Breitbart, when the opportunity arises. And it will, in small and occasionally larger ways. Tell the truth, even when it doesn’t make you popular with your friends and colleagues.

2. Lily says:

It’s a shocker for sure to have seen that he died last night. So young too.
    May he rest in peace.

3. danrudy says:

Very sad and a real blow to the movement.
    I cannot help thinking about how he said he had videos of Obama in college at protests or something to that effect that he will be releasing come election time….
    …and now he is gone.

RIP

• doppelganger says:

let’s hope his work will be continued, with renewed spirit to expose this marxist in the white house and give him a pink slip fit for a pinko!

4. Minnow says:

A sad day to be sure.

5. doppelganger says:

as a father of small children, my heart is breaking for those he left behind.

taken far too soon from those who love him and from the nation that so desperately needed a man like him.

RIP Andrew. See you on the other side mate

6. beed says:

Twitter will be less fun without Breitbart.

His untimely death is devastating. I pray that the folks at ‘Big Journalism’ continue to carry his torch & press on.

Hannity interviewed one of Breitbart’s partners on his radio show today. They are definitely going to carry the torch and press on.

Hannity also asked about the “Obama goes to college” videos and was told that their release is still going to happen.

I’m sure his crew will follow the template he laid out to make leftist heads explode and make them seethe at every opportunity.

8. beed says:

Check out AB’s twitter pic. He’s toast.

9. Zeus Crankypants says:

beed :

Mobile link…

Tweet from Andrew on the death of Ted Kennedy.

AndrewBreitbart ‏
    @AndrewBreitbart

This duplicitous bastard spit on GWB’s face when he reached across party lines. Twas a grade school trick. Even til the end, he was a prick.

10. Zeus Crankypants says:

I don’t think anyone taking a shot at Andrew’s death is off base. Andrew did his fair share of snark and tacky when he was alive. I don’t think he would expect less. He opened himself up to public ridicule and he asked for it. And he gave it back. Even in death, he’s still stirring the pot.

11. garycooper says:

It’s true, Andrew could take it all day and laugh, while dishing it out just as hard, or harder. He was the kind of happy warrior that I really admire. While his peeps vow to carry on his good work, he’s a very tough act to follow. Hopefully someone will emerge who’s just as cantankerous and smart, possibly inspired by Andrew himself.

The insults from the Left are really nice compliments, when you consider the source. Keep ’em coming, libturds. Andrew liked to indulge his enemies, and give them all the rope they needed to hang themselves, like when he went down and interviewed the OWS simps in person. What a character! The more I think about it, the sadder I get. He was just hitting his stride as a national voice.

I admired him too. I think the title of ‘Happy Warrior’ suits him. He sure loved what he did for a living and gave 100% to it. How many of us can say that about ourselves?

12. Zimriel says:

Taibbi and Breitbart had a lot in common. Taibbi hates the big banks like Breitbart hated leftist hacks. Taibbi is writing under the assumption that Breitbart would have said exactly the same about Taibbi had Taibbi died first.

What Breitbart understood, and Taibbi hasn’t yet, is that the TBTF banks and the leftist hacks are on the same side.

Also, I suspect that Breitbart would have been nicer to Taibbi. I think that Taibbi is an honest man who has picked the wrong side in the war. I also think that Taibbi might end up abandoning the side he’s on and, when he does, he’ll wish he had Breitbart around to talk to.

Excellent. Thanks for that.

• P. Ness Lowell says:

I never thought Iowahawk, who had me in stitches so many times, would make me cry.

• dwells38 says:

AB was awsome. Iowahawk is awsome. That was double awsome.

• garycooper says:

That was another classic, from the guy who has written more instant internet classics than anyone else I can think of right now. Thanks, Iowahawk. And thanks again to Andrew, for tearing it up the way he did. We will not see his like again. He was a one-off.

13. Claytonia Sibirica says:

garycooper :
    All of us need to unleash our inner-Breitbart, when the opportunity arises. And it will, in small and occasionally larger ways. Make up shit, even when it doesn’t make you popular with your friends and colleagues.

You had a slight typo in there, had to fix it.

Oh. Look! The goofball leftist can’t stay away. What’s the matter? Kos & LGF too boring for you?

Moronia Shitheadia :
    Did you run out of clever pills today?

Never mind. Don’t answer. Tonight isn’t about you.

• P. Ness Lowell says:

Lol. Out of the mouths of … whatever that is…

• ISpeakJive says:

Do people really wish other people would die just because they annoy them? This breaks new ground for me in the Holy Shit What have I got myself into being born a human thing.

• Claytonia Sibirica says:

People think that way all the time really, we like our hates personal and nasty.

Clay….You’re speaking for yourself & your ilk.

• Claytonia Sibirica says:

if by ‘my ilk’ you mean the human race, you’re absolutely right.

It’s not limited to left or right (Just look back to when Teddy K died).

You will not find me anywhere saying I’m glad he’s dead though, that’s just not something you say.

No, darls. You leftists own the ‘wishing people dead that you don’t like’ schtick. We can agree on the ‘not being horribly sensitive when an ass-hole like Ted Kennedy dies’. M’kay?

• Claytonia Sibirica says:

heh I’m tryin’ to tell if you’re being serious or just messing with me.

I’m gonna think better of ya and presume its the latter :p

• Hugh G. Rection says:

Man what a bitch!

17. Minnow says:

P. Ness Lowell :

Oh man.

Me too.

(Thanks….)

18. Abu Bin Squid says:

Claytonia Sibirica :if by ‘my ilk’ you mean the human race, you’re absolutely right.
    It’s not limited to left or right (Just look back to when Teddy K died).

A difference with a distinction: Ted Kennedy (D) Hell, was a murdering scum and his older brothers were woman abusing perverts, just like Teddyholic. In your view it’s the same as Andrew B. raising his voice over the shrill left. Heh. The left is all about bitching and protesting. It’s high time we tell you you are wrong about almost everything and you suck. Got that?

• Claytonia Sibirica says:

except…

I could make up a similar litany of how “Rightwing Figure X” (doesn’t even have to be Brietbart) is just the utter scum of the earth and deserved to die.

Me thinking that, or you thinking what you think about Kennedy, doesn’t make it right to say you’re glad They’re dead.

• Abu Bin Squid says:

Who is this “Rightwing Figure X” of which you mention? What conservative cad was/is equal to the unspeakable exploitation that embodied the imbred Kennedy’s sexual perversions like Jack, Bobby, and Ted? No one!
        Kennedy = scum. Learn it. Live it, libtard.

• Claytonia Sibirica says:

Regardless, you don’t say you’re glad someone’s dead, excepting Hitler-like figures.

But all kinds of people do it all the time, without regard to politics.

• Abu Bin Squid says:

Ted Kennedy is a stain on America. Womanizer, murdered, liar, unapologitic POS,…. he enjoyed new jokes about his drowning MJK up until his much deserved death.
        Fuck him, fuck you.

• Abu Bin Squid says:

*murderer, not murdered
        PIMF

Teddy killed an innocent woman and it was covered up & rewarded politically by HIS DEMOCRATIC CONSTITUENCY!!!.

Oh..and Clay…I know the Kennedys well because I worked for them.

19. Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

Chuck tweeted:

Looks like I stumped Stack Overflow with this question: Can Twitter’s embedded tweets be rendered dynamically?

Here is his post:

Chuck – just because no one answers on SO doesn’t mean they’re stumped.

Examples:

Sometimes people think a request is just too damned stupid to respond to.

Orphaned “please code my project: thank you” requests at OS are not rare and “stumped” is not what they represent.

20. Hugh G. Rection says:

What a fucking drunking douchenozzle!

Paula Connell ‏ @PaulaConnell

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

@NewsHoundEllen he was a cruel, abusive, manipulative bully and I’m not going to pretend otherwise. He hurt a lot of innocent people.
    In reply to Ellen Brodsky
    5h Paula Connell Paula Connell ‏ @PaulaConnell

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

How telling that conservatives who rushed to bash Whitney Houston postmortem are whining about the same being done to Breitbart. Hypocrites.
    5h Paula Connell Paula Connell ‏ @PaulaConnell

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

Batshit insane RW quote of the day from JoanO: Was Andrew Breitbart Murdered? beforeitsnews.com/story/1837/474… I SAY YES!
    7h LoonWatch LoonWatch ‏ @loonwatchers

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

Andrew Breitbart Leaves a Legacy of #Racism, #Islamophobia and Hate: bit.ly/AEGggL
    Retweeted by Paula Connell
    12h The Rude Pundit The Rude Pundit ‏ @rudepundit

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

I think we need a gentle reminder of who Andrew Breitbart was. From the day Ted Kennedy died: thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/…
    Retweeted by Paula Connell
    8h Paula Connell Paula Connell ‏ @PaulaConnell

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

@MildlyBrilliant could not agree more.
    In reply to D’mitri Wyllchen
    8h Paula Connell Paula Connell ‏ @PaulaConnell

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

I refuse to engage in some faux, insincere display of respect today for Andrew Breitbart. I didn’t respect him, and he won’t be missed.

• Claytonia Sibirica says:

ok ‘was AB murdered?’ gave me a bit of a guilty grin.

Really guys?

• P. Ness Lowell says:

I missed all the “right wingers” piling on Whitney Houston. I do seem to recall a certain left-wing blogger trying to capitalize on her death.

• Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

conflate and condemn. same shit different day.

All I heard was Charles mocking her for re-re-entering rehab last year, and KFI’s John Kobylt snarking that she was a crack ho. (He and partner Ken Champeau were suspended for a week after apologizing.)

• Nomad says:

Paula, nobocy thinks you have to engage in faux insincere displays of respect. Why can’t you just be quiet about him instead? This is the time when people should remember that if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

Tim Conway Jr. has Michael Walsh on talking about Breitbart.

22. Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

I think when someone of power kills a human being and gets away with it people hold it against him.

It is this bizarre and archaic emotional need for this thing people call “Justice”

OWS likes to use the word “Justice” when they chant “No justice no peace, no peace no justice” but that must be a DIFFERENT justice from the one people wanted for most of the career of Teddy Kennedy.

When OJ Simpson dies many will be ungracious to him. They will no doubt be called ‘racist’ for feeling that way.

Breitbart never killed anyone. He just killed a few careers of some ass holes whose own actions / words caught up with them. But each of those careers was based on holding the power of government over others, and each claiming a higher moral position in the world than they put into practice.

So, of course, the moral equivalence of AB vs Kennedy is sought out as some sort of high ground. It isn’t. It is a pathetic refuge.

23. doppelganger says:

paula connell had her fucking hand out for money. she lied to us saying her kid was getting deployed and might never come back from Iraq.(well it turned out he was a jet mechanic on a ship. odds of coming home, probably higher than the commercial flight attendants who flew our soldiers to kuwait.) Not to make light of his duty. it was important for sure and he is to be respected. She is NOT.
    she conned good lizards out of money pulling at heart strings. then when the flight to san diego and the free hotel was all paid for, she never said thank you. she is a liar and a scammer

so shut your mouth you filthy lying skank

• Exactly. She is a leech.

• I recall that episode very well.

• doppelganger says:

and I think each and every time this fat slob opens her pie hole and has an opinion, people need to remind her and everybody else that we remember who she is. how she lied. how she basically stole money from people who were just trying to do something nice

she is a dirtbag. she needs to be shamed. this will not die.

she needs to be forever known as a liar and a con artist, and at the end of the day an ungrateful person who never ever said THANKS

24. Claytonia Sibirica says:

note to self: Never mention the Kennedys on this blog.

25. Claytonia Bot 2.0 says:

Ted Kennedy!

Robert Stacy McCain has a good ‘un.

“I can’t believe I’m talking to Andrew Breitbart.”
    That story captures the essence of what was so amazing about Breitbart: He was always open to everybody. How many hundreds — perhaps thousands — of people had his personal cell-phone number? He would talk to anybody. Merely by talking to them, and more importantly, by listening to them, he would make them feel important, make them believe that there was real value to whatever it was they were doing for the cause.

• Claytonia Bot 2.0 says:

But RSM once said some racist things.

I am not accusing him of having attended cross burnings in a white sheet like Senator Robert Byrd. But cross burnings are far more nuanced activities than stupid right wingers are able to grasp, especially if you go on to renounce such later in your career so that you can rack up the most pork of any Senator in history!

RSM is worse! Charles proved it!

27. Claytonia Bot 2.0 says:

Robert Byrd!

28. Andrew Breitbart was ‘in talks with CNN’ over new show with Anthony Weiner before he died aged just 43

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108973/Andrew-Breitbart-talks-CNN-new-Anthony-Weiner.html#ixzz1nva7Owfh

Speaking of Weiner…I’m sure he’s wondering what might become of Breitbart’s laptop sandwich board.

• garycooper says:

Breitbart and Weiner doing a CNN show together…yowsah! Chunky’s head just exploded, agin. 😆

• doppelganger says:

it was going to be called

Think Tanker and Pic Wanker
      Winner and Weiner
      Expose’ guy and exposure guy

and I would have watched. Weiner is a creap but I think the banter of the two of them would have nice/ too nice for CNN. this would have and should have been on Fox where they would have actually had an audience

29. garycooper says:

Another personal testimonial to the man: http://yidwithlid.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-will-miss-you-friend-andrew-breitbart.html

His friends sure loved him. And he had a LOT of friends!

I can’t imagine being that outgoing and living for others the way he did, totally accessible at all hours it seems, but it sure worked for him. I wonder if it took a toll on him, though. You can’t say that it did without knowing his personal genetic makeup, some guys are just destined to die young of heart attacks, but it does make you wonder. Burning the candle at both ends, and in the middle, tends to make for a short if productive life.

30. Breitbart’s last tweet:

• doppelganger says:

I hate twitter.

• iSpeakJive says:

It can be a real sewer. I used to check Breitbart’s tweets every day and the lefty bile was starting to stress me out to the point that i didn’t want to subject myself to it anymore. I can’t imagine that it didn’t affect him emotionally at some level.

Nah. He thrived on it. That’s why he retweeted all the vitriol and hatred. He was laughing at them and wanted to share the joke.

His funniest joke was blocking Charles Johnson’s spam. THAT was intentional.

• For that being his last interaction on twitter, I think it epitomizes his approach.

He fought hard, yet he was trying to make sure that if he might be wrong, he was conceding that, and offering an appropriate apology.

I just watched the video of him, Pam, & Robert in the CPAC video.

This just sucks. He had so much more on front of him.

Pakimon :

I’m sure the moonbats are applauding his “cleverness”. :roll:

As an aside, who the fuck still reads Rolling Stone?

You might as well hang a sign around your neck saying,”I’m an old baby boomer hippie asshat!” around your neck.

I loathe Jan Wenner and everything he stands for. He has way too much influence on who gets into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He’s prevented Rush being inducted for years.

32. phoenixgirl says:

what a sad day…….

• livefreeor die says:

Completely. I’ve been in a fog all day. It has made me resolve to help pick up his torch though and cast as much light as possible on the lies of the MSM.

• doppelganger says:

it’s been an awful day for me. I am 6 months older than Andrew. I have young kids. I can’t imagine leaving them.
      Forget all the politics and the loss to the conservative movement. He has 4 kids and a wife that lost the most important person in their world.
      it certainly makes life seem important. I took many breaths today and appreciated them. was driving and watching the trees go by and played with my boys and appreciated it just so much more. Sorry he has to miss all that. not fair

Michael Walsh was hired by Breitbart years ago, they became long time buddies. http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/292392/goodbye-andrew-michael-walsh

• Minnow says:

another tear jerker…. We miss you already Mr. Breitbart.

• Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

“I can personally attest that no cause fired his righteous indignation more than the Left’s plantation attitude toward African-Americans.”

Yup. The Clarence Thomas hearings turned me too.

• Minnow says:

with idiots like Mr. Mental Midget over at LGF harping about racism at every turn. What a fucking moron.

Liberals – what a lot of fucking morons.

spit.

Dana Loesch kept herself together on her podcast today. That had to be tough.

• “He did not live to make General, which is the Left’s gain and our loss.”

So true.

34. Minnow says:

Never was there a more jealous fool than Charles Johnson. Slamming Andrew Breitbart to gain points with who?

Losers one and all.

Ha-ha Charles, Andrew Breitbart was light years ahead of you in every single respect.

And you know it.

Punk.

35. Zappa Would Be Vomiting says:

If Chuck were half the man AB was he would never have gone on his banning quests. AB invited the fight – Chuck ran away.

• Minnow says:

Charles puts out about 2-horsepower. Andrew was turbocharged and was putting out around 10,000-HP.

Suck it Chunky.

36. Minnow says:

I see the Turd Collective has gone off tonight on a wild SmashGodFest.

They merrily trash and smash at the concept of God and pontificate.

According to them, if you believe in God, you should be living in a cave and eating slugs.

Really.

These are people who have, collectively, learned nothing through this thing we call Life.

And, these are people who have, collectively, achieved or accomplished NOTHING!

Joy!

Because. If they had done something in their lives – oh, you know…. bigger than themselves.
    Well, THEN, they would have had an opportunity to reflect on WHY this happened.

And, with even a small scoop of hubris, they would have realized that they had help in this regard.

But, no. Don’t worry all-you-all.

WE know you haven’t accomplished SHIT.

And, as a result, you have learned NOTHING.

Get the butt plug and the wine.

Enjoy!

37. I can’t say that I already miss Breitbart simply because it hasn’t sunk in yet that he’s actually gone.

It’s a testament to AB’s effectiveness that “The Left” is reacting to his death with such “class”.

From the biggest “power players” to the lowliest attention craving troll, they all are compelled to get their “digs in” one last time, especially since he can’t fire back.

I think AB wouldn’t have expected anything else.

39. gulfloafer says:

Breitbart was a patriot in every sense of the word.