Battle for the LGF Tweet Counter: Episode IV

Well, it’s been more than a week, and Johnson still refuses to correct, own-up to, or clarify the “retweet” counters and the related deceptive mischaracterization regarding them (although we have noticed that CJ has refrained from any further bragging about the counts since our revelation).  It would appear that, as far as he’s concerned, a “retweet” and a “click” continue to be the same thing.(?)

But wait! Today there’s a Sekrit Thread! I seem to recall the last time LGF had one of those; it was so that CJ could set the record straight about being caught with a busted “views” counter…in private. So it stands to reason that this cyber-huddle with the cultists was called to discuss this latest matter with the tweets.

And thanks to some brave souls who dared to go undercover, we find that we shall not be disappointed:

OMG…

“Apparently”?  “some confusion”?

Ummm….newsflash…CJ’s the one who’s been calling them “retweets” this whole time!

(click for the montage)

So confusing…Is he being deliberately obtuse? Or is he really that dumb?

Anyway, as we’ve pointed out before, the mischaracterization is especially vivid when it comes to the member-authored LGF Pages, as they are not only ranked by number of “tweets” in a special section of the left sidebar:

..but in the right sidebar, the “recent” and “featured” Pages include their own “tweets” counter:

And when you visit one of the Pages, roll your mouse over the counter, and you still see this:

I know we’re getting into dead horse territory, but the number being displayed both on the main page and in the “Pages” section cannot be referred to as “tweets”, “retweets”, or viewed as having any connection to twitter at all.  CuriousLurker’s Page didn’t get 1000+ “tweets” there (we’re waiting to see if he jumps up and down, btw).

Bottom line: We aren’t contending that CJ didn’t explain how the counters really work when they were originally implemented.  We know he did. But he’s continuing to embarrass himself by representing those counts as equivalent to the numbers produced by every other blog’s tweet counter (including ours), and naturally we feel obligated to say something (since all the fact-checkers at the swamp have either left, or been scared into silence).  We’re trying to help here!

107 Comments on “Battle for the LGF Tweet Counter: Episode IV”

1. Mr Caps says:

Super Sekrit Thread 😉

• garycooper says:

“Ancient Chinese secret, haaaah?”

Even Dark Falcon says to himself, “Hmmm…something just doesn’t seem to add up, here. Can’t quite put my finger on it. Think I’ll go window-peeping down the street.”

2. Emperor says:

I think we can take that as an admission. He’s not admitting that he was lying, of course; but he is admitting that it’s a counter of bit.ly clicks, not Retweets.

Chalk that up as another victory for the Boiler Room. Why still call it “Battle for the LGF Tweet Counter”? I’d say it’s over…

• ChenZhen says:

Well it’s a pretty weak admission if he’s doing it from the sekrit thread (like the “views” counter admission).

Plus it’s still bogus. Look at what he said here:

“…The tweet counters, as always, show the number of incoming links from the shortened URLs that are posted on Twitter when you use our retweet buttons — in other words, the Twitter traffic….”

I mean, look at the bit.ly stats. Take that Palin/Revere thread’s stats, for example. Look at the pie chart. It’s not even a good gauge of Twitter traffic.

• Emperor says:

Well, the lie there is “in other words, the Twitter traffic.” But – he is admitting now that the counter tracks clicks, not Retweets. Which, in my opinion anyway, was the biggest lie that Charles made regarding this counter.

The next step would be for him to admit these clicks are not exclusively from Twitter. But, with a compulsive liar like Charles, telling a half-truth is an improvement, I suppose. 😛

• ChenZhen says:

To be clear, when addressing specifically how the number is produced (like when he originally created the counter, and a few other times recently), CJ has said that it counts the “clicks” on the short url.

But more often over the past few years, he’s liberally juxtaposed the term “retweets” instead. Heck, roll your mouse over the counter on main page article, and then do it over one of the LGF Pages. One says “clicks”, the other says “retweets”. Like I say in the thread. He’s the one who’s confused. Or not?

Bottom line: I think CJ knew perfectly well the difference and that he wasn’t going to be challenged by anyone at the swamp as he abused the term “retweet” when referring to that thing. He proudly threw it around in his own tweets to the world:

It was up to us to press him on this. So yea, pretty dishonest.

3. gizbot7 says:

Blogmoc show is on now everyone. Just FYI!

4. ElSuerte says:

Can we get a fact check on Charle’s statement that Twitter doesn’t supply retweet stats?
    That sounds really fishy. If not in the API, surely there is some interface that websites are using to report retweets.

• Emperor says:

It’s false. Look at this DoD post – it has a Tweet counter. Officially supplied from Twitter, unlike Chuck’s false one.

• Mandingo Warrior says:

Tweet counters count retweets. No real investigative work required.

• ChenZhen says:

yea, for the record:

LGF’s “tweet button”: works great (it even puts in popular hash tags for you)
      LGF’s “tweet counter”: is a giant sham

It can’t be that hard. Half the blogs and sites in the ‘sphere have proper tweet counters.

5. Lord Nazh says:

Even coming clean he lies; no wonder he doubled down on tha weiner

6. livefreeor die says:

Has this super sekrit thread information been tweeted to Breitbart and DoD’s other twitter pals?

7. swamprat says:

You’ve inflated your site stats.

“You think I have! But did I?”

Yes you did.

“Well, it’s all very confusing.”

Yeah, right.

“I took the confusing counters down.”

Oh joy. But we weren’t confused.

8. swamprat says:

Charles goes to a restaurant, picks up a menu, hands it to the waiter.

“This one is broken; no browser.

9. mrpaulrevere says:

Almost four hours and only 122 comments on a sekrit thread? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

10. Whatever says:

Sideways gropers at the TSA? Is this what Ludwig’s been fantasizing about?

Meanwhile, I just got a comment on my entry about TSA groper Magee Thedala (or Thedala Magee) sticking her hand sideways INTO my vagina, between my labia, four times. It was left by a person calling themself “Blank tso” (from a Long Beach, CA, Verizon Mobile I.P. address)

11. mrpaulrevere says:

The number of comments is now up to 140. The Lizard army now resembles the Japanese soldiers who never heard of the surrender and were found in the jungles in the 70’s.

• Banshee says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict that he shuts that sad, run-down coffee house for good by the end of the year.

I doubt it. He’s got too much emotional investment, and the blog pretty much runs itself. Chuck gets most of his thread fodder from lizard comments anyway. Couple of hours of heavy-duty cut-and-paste, a few comments, and he’s done.

• garycooper says:

Speaking of Jap soldiers, I was watching “Flying Tigers” just now and it occurred to me that Chunky was taking it in the face almost as hard as the Jap pilots do in that movie. Looks kinda like this: http://tinyurl.com/3uqj298

“Oh, those BRC! They are like rabid wolverines, ransacking my shit!”

12. snowcrash says:

ISTE you rocked the radio show. The accent is surprisingly nice. Lol

13. Mandingo Warrior says:

ITSE good job. You reduced Johnson’s coding to elimentary–my dear Kalegore. CJ will probably skip portal 2 tonight to see if he can add enough security software to piss you off.

14. brookly red says:

mrpaulrevere :
    The number of comments is now up to 140. The Lizard army now resembles the Japanese soldiers who never heard of the surrender and were found in the jungles in the 70′s.

comments to what? I could get 200 easy over pizza toppings…

15. gizbot7 says:

Great job ISTE. You don’t sound like a serial killer at all. 😉

16. Mandingo Warrior says:

brookly red :
    a turd on a hillside can not be hidden.

Brookly, thought your ideas about disintegration of
    public Employee unions were spot on. NY like LA (where I live) is going through the same thing. The money will run out very soon, and there is no back up plan.

• Whatever says:

I was just thinking about that today. The post office is going broke. These pension funds are broke. Social Security is broke. So what are the progs all hot and bothered about?

Yeah, you guessed it…

GLOBAL WARMING!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

• brookly red says:

that is true… and there will be weeping & gnashing of teeth. And some will wither and others will pick lettuce.

17. Mandingo Warrior says:

18. Mr Caps says:

Whatever :
    Is that Hunan philosophy?

RAAAACIST!

19. So will Mata-Hairy call out Glen Beck for exposing Marxist George Soros as a traitor to his judaism because he sided with the nazis?

20. Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

This is a public service announcement.

If you have an account at Little Green Footballs and you are able to access the really secret thread where they are talking about us and showing each other pictures of their personal parts please do not copy and post the whole thread here.

This is to protect your identity.

Just post a synopsis written by yourself.

Note to Charles, We know what you are doing… 😉

• ChenZhen says:

Or…send it to us via the contact form!

• Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

Emperor :
        ?

You are OK so far.

Do you tweet?

🙂

• Emperor says:

Well I only ask because I posted a quote downstairs and I wonder if my sock will get destroyed. That would be sad since it served me well for, well, a couple months anyway.

As for tweeting…Yes I do, but I see no point in creating a personal Twitter account, so what little tweeting I do it is only for the purposes of mocking Charles Johnson… 😛

21. ISpeakJive says:

22. Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

Emperor :

If you follow this asshole http://twitter.com/#!/SlinkyBewmont/status/85201630596841472
    then he can Direct message you.

23. Battle for the LGF twit counter

FIFY.

24. Banshee :
    That tired old shit again? Beck has a Jew problem. Even the ADL has noticed.

That is rich coming from the same loser who call Pamela Geller a crazy muslim hating bigot but I digress truth hurts.

25. Mr Caps says:

It’s Obama’s Jew problem that concerns me.

26. Mr Caps says:

Hawaii is looking for another slightly overweight Ukulele player..any ideas?

• Hah says:

No. Just don’t go there if “there” is making any connection between Iz and CJ. Iz was talented and beloved.

27. Mr Caps :
    It’s Obama’s Jew problem that concerns me.

Banshee will accuse you of racism.

Message from the Boiler Room
    Warning for those wearing socks on the Secret Thread. Send captures and screenshots via the report email, but don’t post them here.

• Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

This is the very first time that Bunk posted something that you should read and obey.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Bunk found a nut.

• Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

Banshee :
      Did Chunk upgrade the correlator tool?

Nope, but we know things that even Charles does not know, yet…..

29. beed says:

Banshee :
    The list of things Charles doesn’t know is longer than Wikipedia…

To be fair, that is probably true for most of us.

30. ChenZhen says:

Oh sorry I’m so late on this one:

• Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

Chen,

He also has visit counters that don’t really count visits, and view counters that count something that is not views, he just deleted his click counters that didn’t count clicks, his comment counter is wrong by over 32 thousand comments and his daily statistics are a joke.

Also Charles Johnson never said St Pancake, he denied it and he was correct. He actually said Saint pancake.

His tweet counter counts incoming traffic from Facebook.

Yet people still trust him?

31. beed says:

Charles Johnson: “This is as good a place as any to mention [that things are full of shit]”

That was the very purpose of your little private thread there, you dweebster. It only took you about 15 min to post your confessional rant, and we know it took you more than 15 min to write that crap, because you KNEW that very comment would be scrutinized and posted triumphantly here at the DoD.

32. anonym ass says:

From the secret thread –

Charles wants some sort of acknowledgement or vindication of his being totally honest [/sarc is all mine] about the tweet counter… I mean, the bit.ly whatever counter. No one seems to care and for the first 90 something comments lgfers are talking about a bogus “Chavez is dead” story. So Cj jumps in at nearly comment 100, saying:

And another thing! For all of those confused with my totally non-confusing counter and button layout, I’ll explain it again! The button creates a tweet, but the counter which happens to be located within the box that contains the button is totally unrelated, it counts bitly whatevers! Plus, you can’t pin this on me… It’s all bitly’s fault! The numbers come from bitly… I didn’t do it! Furthermore, there’s no way I was lying, confused or both about what I was doing, and here’s the proof: bitly won’t even calculate the retweets, so there’s no way I would refer to the number in the counter as “retweets,” it just doesn’t make since. There, I proved I’m right. I’m right, they’re not. Plus, they’re racists. Let’s drop the subject once and for all. [paraphrase]

• beed says:

Re anonymity and asses:

When I was in high school, me and 20 other guys decided it would be a Great Idea to moon the schoolyard from behind the windows. It worked out great for all of us, except for our one friend, who was black.

33. Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

Yeah Charles, that is what we said!

97 Charles
    Sun, Jun 26, 2011 5:24:48pm

And since I notice that a lot of right wing bloggers are promoting another lie that I “rigged” the tweet counters — I may have confused the terminology and called them “retweet counters” a few times, which isn’t quite accurate, but I explained in depth about what the button did (it creates a “retweet” post for Twitter) and what the counters showed, in this post:

Tech Note: Retweet Code Revamp

If I were really trying to fool anyone, I went about it in a really stupid way — by telling everyone what I was up to, in great detail.

Nothing is rigged. The numbers show the number of clicks on the shortened links posted to Twitter — which is what you want to know, if you’re measuring traffic. Who cares if someone “retweets” your link, if it doesn’t result in a click? The clicks are the meaningful statistic.

There’s also the simple fact that even if I wanted to show the “retweet” count for some reason, you can’t even do that with bit.ly. Their API returns the number of clicks on links shortened with their web services. Period. Nothing about “retweets.”

Yes Charles, you tried to fool us

Charles Johnson, you are a fake, a fraud, dishonest and a liar.

34. Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

But there is more!

99 Charles
    Sun, Jun 26, 2011 5:33:18pm

I also explained how the button and counters worked in the very first post about it, when I was using John Resig’s code (author of jQuery):

Tech Note: The Retweet Button

Yes Charles, you explained how the counter was not counting tweets and several months later you used those numbers that you knew were not tweet numbers when you posted how many re-tweets your articles were getting, see the montage above.

Oh well, Charles, we busted you yet again. Stop digging, stop digging this particular hole. We have a new hole for you to explain….

To be continued….

35. antilgfwarrior says:

Charles is a twitter charlatan.

36. St. Pancake says:

Stop picking on chuckles! Just because it was a twitter graphic, why would you think it would have anything to do with tweets, retweets, or even a twit like dark_falcondom? When you turn on a faucet, do you expect water to come out? Of course not, that’s how you change tv channels. 😛

The LudwigVanPsychote Slut Shamer Practice Module.

It calculates your slut shaming dexterity with velocity calculations.

It even has a meter so it’s really sciencey!

Test your slut shaming prowess by clicking here

38. And I voted for obama

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

w t f

47 Charles Mon, Jun 27, 2011 11:27:21am replyquote
      * 1
      * down
      * up
      Update: I mentioned that I contacted bit.ly support about the situation where someone’s messing with our link statistics; exchanged a couple of emails this morning and they’re investigating.

I wonder if Charles also contacted Twitter to tell them that Bit.ly coopted his tweet counter buttons.

39. jd says:

Charles is a person walking around with size 5 shoes saying “I have size 10 shoes there, how do you like those size 10 shoes???? Size 10 shoes!!!!! you see there Size 10!!!. Bigger than Breitbarts I tell you. TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!! They are BIG…. S-I-Z-E 10!!!! i tell you.

Don’t beleive me? I’ll ban yah.
    Question me? I’ll get my kickers in a twist and call you a liar.

40. jd says:

The more important twitter number is number of followers. Those are your potential retweeters. If you have a high retweet rate compared to number of followers people find what you say interesting and want to share it with other people.

There are companies that measure that metric. Charles is unable to measure that.