George Duke and Charles ‘Icarus’ Johnson in 1978

We know that Charles Johnson bought a car with money from George Duke and left the band. Clearly this was not an amicable split and foreshadowed Chuck’s backstabbing. A clip has surfaced showing them performing together in 1978.

The Sage of Culver City appears with a guitar at 3:15 into this clip .

Charles definitely burns bridges.

(Hat Tip: Internet Septic Tank Engineer)

63 Comments on “George Duke and Charles ‘Icarus’ Johnson in 1978”

1. billhedrick says:

2. billhedrick says:

better but still a little unclear.

3. Runner says:

Good grief. It would have to be the obnoxious “music” of George Duke.

4. garycooper says:

His guitar playing was about as expressive and complex then, as his brief, repetitive rants are today. Just keep repeating the same basic phrases, day after day after day…and then steal off in your V-Dub, leaving your employer in the lurch.

Asswipe.

5. Runner says:

A sure sign of shitty music is the presence of conga drums.

6. ISTE says:

Charles is the champion of anti-racism.

210 Charles
    Fri, May 13, 2011 9:53:28pm
    re: #209 unwashed masses

And you’re welcome to express your support for a racist kook somewhere else, because you won’t be doing it at LGF.

Charles brands a possible presidential candidate a “racist kook”

Charles bans anyone who supports a “racist kook”

This comment can get you banned…

Every American has a right to their opinion and the right to express that opinion. Even if I hate white supremacy with a raging passion I will defend to the day their constitutional right to their freedom of speech.

Ron Paul also understands that they have this right which is exactly why he is the anti-racist candidate just as he says.

• Charles Johnson says:

You are a racist kook!

• gizbot7 says:

Once again, he was just looking for a reason to ban that dude. They were a Ron Paul supporter don’tcha know and that means a banning is in order posthaste!

• ISTE says:

Yep, funny thing was that after Charles did his “you won’t be doing it at LGF” then unwashed masses posted another three comments. None of which were offensive but Charles deleted them because it shows that Charles can’t even press the right button to ban someone any more.

• gizbot7 says:

I was wondering about those comments! LOL!

7. ChenZhen says:

CJ sure has a way with misleading headlines”

Indiana Supreme Court Rules That Police Can Enter Anyone’s Home Without a Warrant

When, in actuality, they ruled on the right to resist an illegal search. Big difference. If the police search illegally, some are going to resist, and some aren’t. Contrary to the headline, the search would still be illegal. (I suppose the rationale is that resisting has nothing but downsides, and you save it for the court. How does one effectively “resist” the cops, anyway?)

Par for the LGF course, though.

8. gizbot7 says:

Speaking of par for the LGF course…

53 Killgore Trout
    Fri, May 13, 2011 3:54:27pm replyquote 6downupfavoritereport

I usually try not to mention the stalkers but they’re claiming that Charles and myself planted all thousands on racist comments on Fox News articles under the direction of Obama’s “Organizing for America”.

Funny, but I didn’t see that said anywhere. Maybe I just missed it.

9. Macker says:

OMG! NOW I know where 2 Live Crew sampled “Talk to me quick!”

10. gizbot7 says:

@ISTE – After reading that thread, I still don’t understand the point of what Kilgore was trying to accomplish with that nonsense. Charles certainly isn’t jumping up at 3am to moderate racist comments.

• ISTE says:

Charles closely monitors registration, and yes up until that point Charles was not monitoring his blog 24/7 but others were on his behalf.

It was basically a “our blog is monitored better than your blog is” swipe at Hot Air.

11. Charles Johnson says:

• ISTE says:

Hell now I am following her. She says some funny shit.

🙂

12. MrPaulRevere says:

This just in from the internets premiere debating forum:

Dark_Falcon Fri, May 13, 2011 8:31:40pm

down
    up

re: #170 Slumbering Behemoth

That’s what you think. I left that “clever” tracking device of yours in you mom’s house. PWND!

You didn’t know? It’s me on the bridge of that Super Star Destroyer, Varek put me in charge of her when you commissioned. I’m much smarter than Admiral Piet, and I was able to figure out what you’d done. I couldn’t take you out, but I was able to locate an Ewok colony. Varek will be pleased.

• ISTE says:

Pssssst… that really is Kirstie Alley.

You are in deep shit now! 🙂

• Charles Johnson says:

It was a dare.

Registration is open so if she wants to get banned she can come try to fact check me.

13. Guy says:

what’s with the harvard shirt?

• John Difool says:

What, a man can’t stop at the GAP and buy himself a shirt before a jam session with a renowned jazz artist?

Holy poop. I come over here, toss in a Maceo Parker vid, and everything is Fuldkommen Gak. Is someone messing with the AutoPilot?

Whew. Site looks normal again. Nevemind.

• ISTE says:

We are all tweeting with Kirstie Alley.
      You thought our Kirly had a potty mouth?
      Think Natasha is a bit rough round the edge?

Kirstie has them both beat!

“I AM Kirstie Alley. It’s only me.”

• Doppelganger says:

Nobody has ever seen Kirstie Alley and Charles Johnson in the same room together.

I think he goes into a very large phone booth and lets down his pony tail and puts on a bra, and a bit of lipstick

voila!

He’s Kirstie

• John Difool says:

Wouldn’t be much of a transition, she’s “The Fat Actress”, he’s the fat asshole.

• ISpeakJive says:

She’s looking pretty good these days, though. Dancing her butt off, literally.

16. 300 says:

Wait, what is that “_” at the end in the credits listing Charles “_” Johnson?

17. Chucky Cheetos says:

I was the George Duke Band…..it was only me.

18. Mr Caps says:

I think Charles is on to something!

link

• Chucky Cheetos says:

if true, then Charles is sitting on an energy gold mine. Guy could possibly become the Warren Buffet of urine.

19. OldLineTexan says:

billhedrick :“bought a car from money George Duke out of a car and left the ban.” hmmmm you want to try that again in English?

Demanding “English” is a sign of raaaaacism, you know.

20. The Osprey says:

Charles “Icarus” Johnson, the tokin’ token honky.

Check out where he’s mugging for the camera at around 8:00…roflmao.

• John Difool says:

His pupils looked dilated as hell. Probably just took a healthy honk of some potent dust.

21. Walter von Dichische says:

Notice something. At the end, the credits say Charles “Icarus” Johnson guitar, and Byron Miller, bass. At about 4:25, Duke addresses Chuck (clearly playing a guitar, and not a bass), and called him “Byron”. IOW, they were just hired help.