and they both mention this blog!

Charles Johnson: I Never Referred to Rachel Corrie as St. Pancake

Filed under: General — Aaron Worthing @ 8:53 am

[Guest post by Aaron Worthing; if you have tips, please send them here.]

Clip this away, folks, for this will prove once and for all that Johnson is actually a liar.

Just today The Other McCain noted how easy it is to ignore Charles Johnson.  But since Patterico stirred things up, I came across this astonishing item from Johnson.

Apparently he has written at least one piece in the UK’s Guardian about the “haters” in America like Pam Geller.  Yeah, you read that right, the Guardian, which he used to refer to as the al Guardian (although to his credit he owns up to that comment).  So a few commenters with long memories brought up Johnson’s own use of the term “pancake” when mocking the death of Rachel Corrie.  Bear in mind, back in the day he used to make jokes like that all the time.  When I made some kind of joke about memorializing her with a breakfast at the International House of Pancakes, I was ripping off borrowing Johnson’s jokes.  So a few people brought up those kinds of comments.  For instance:

Sacredham

Charles used to refer to Rachel Corrie, a pro-Palestinian “activist” who was crushed by a bulldozer, as “Saint Pancake.” Google for “rachel corrie pancake breakfast.” For him to try to characterize the former tone of his site as the result of too-loose moderation is simply disingenuous.

But Johnson selectively chooses to respond only to Joey100’s comment:

Some of the rhetoric – al Guardian, St. Pancake – has been brought up in this thread to embarass CJ. Maybe he should speak to that.

To which Johnson responded:

First, about the term “St. Pancake” — the simple fact is that I never used this term at LGF, and in fact I have told people many times, when I saw them using it, that I didn’t like it. I even warned some people that continuing to use it would get their accounts blocked. This is a case in which the smear is absolutely, 100% due to the very people you see posting hateful comments directed me in this thread.

Which was appallingly deceptive.  I didn’t personally remember the man ever saying those exact words, but to deny one insult and pretend he made no other Rachel Corrie/pancake references was just bull.  It was pulling a Bill Clinton, making a statement so deceptive it is in practicality a lie.  He apparently has vigorously scrubbed his site of these jokes that used to come all the time, but, um, he missed a spot:

(Note: the highlighting effect there is the result of me selecting words to copy and forgetting to turn that off when I made the screencap.)

Notice the wording: “Indymedia unwittingly imitates Little Green Footballs: Rachel Corrie Pancake Breakfast” (emphasis added).  Now how could they be imitating anything, if LGF had never made Rachel Corrie “pancake” jokes in the first place?  Johnson was challenged on this point and he responds:

I made an ironic reference to the use of the term by LGF readers. I didn’t use it myself.

Mmm, yeah, except he didn’t say “our readers.”  He said “Little Green Footballs.”  And further in the past when other bloggers tried to hold the behavior of his commenters against him, he regularly denied responsibility for his commenters—he claimed he was not responsible for what they say.  To this day his site contains this disclaimer:

Comments are open and unmoderated, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Little Green Footballs.

So which is it, Chuckie boy?  But it gets even worse.  Let’s remember that he considered the phrase to be so offensive that he claimed that he threatened to ban accounts of people who used that term when he was aware of them.  Oh, except he didn’t.  For years there was a commenter on his site that went by the handle “St. Pancake.”  And Johnson even gave him a hat tip in this post (don’t bother deleting, Chuckie, we have the screen shot).  So the claim that he deleted that term was a lie.

[…]

Read the rest

R. S. McCain’s take on McDumdum’s (il)logic

Patterico: ‘Charles Johnson Doesn’t Care About Context or Truth Any More’

Posted on | January 21, 2011 | View Comments

“I was such a small fish at the time. I realized I was basically committing blog suicide by going against him. But he was wrong.”
Pamela Geller, January 2010

It’s interesting how easy it has become to ignore Charles Johnson and Little Green Footballs. A couple weeks ago, Diary of Daedalus or the Blogmocracy had a post with a graphic showing the decline in LGF’s traffic since Johnson began his mad purge of commenters who didn’t cooperate with his site’s leftward shift. And I would have blogged about that, but why bother? Nobody cares about LGF anymore.

Johnson has tried to re-invent LGF as an amateur Media Matters, and Patterico caught LGF doing a phony “gotcha” wherein Glenn Beck last June supposedly told his viewers to shoot people in the head.

Patterico links the transcript of the program which makes clear that Beck never said or intended any such thing. What Beck was talking about was a “civil war” within the Democratic Party between pragmatic, mainstream liberals and the revolutionary True Believers who are intent on radical change By Any Means Necessary:

You’ve been using them? They believe in communism. They believe and have called for a revolution. You’re going to have to shoot them in the head. But warning, they may shoot you.
They are dangerous because they believe. Karl Marx is their George Washington. You will never change their mind. And if they feel you have lied to them — they’re revolutionaries. Nancy Pelosi, those are the people you should be worried about.

You will recall that after the 9/12 March on Washington in 2009, Nancy Pelosi gave a press conference warning about rhetoric that “created a climate in which violence took place” in San Francisco in the late 1970s:

And what Beck was trying to say on his June 2010 program was that Democratic leaders, who believed they could co-opt and use the radicalism of the Left for their political advantage, should worry more about extremism from their own allies than from the conservative opposition. You don’t have to believe that assertion — or be a Beck fan — to see that what the LGF post did was to twist Beck’s meaning into the exact opposite of what Beck intended.

What’s stunning is how easily Johnson — or rather one of his second-banana henchpeople, “Conservative Moonbat” — was gulled into that error. The Beck transcript was available online the whole time. The transcript was located by the third commenter on the LGF post and the fourth commenter observed:

So he says that Dems will have to shoot left-wing radicals “in the head”

[…]

Charles Johnson has cut himself off from conservatives and made them his enemies, without actually bothering to declare himself a liberal. Liberals were happy to celebrate Johnson’s defection from the Right, but the one-time dividend of a New York Times profile hasn’t yielded any lasting benefit.

Read the rest: Patterico: Charles Johnson Does Not Care About Context or Truth Any More

150 Comments on “Patterico and The Other McCain notice McDumdum’s hypocrisy on the St. Pancake issue”

1. Charles Johnson's bicycle seat says:

“No blog is an island. If you aren’t linked by other blogs, you can’t increase your readership. That which does not grow will eventually begin to die. When Johnson decided to make war on erstwhile blog allies, he also cut himself off from their readers, and without a readership — beyond the dwindling cult of sycophants — he has become irrelevant.”

His blog is dying – and deservedly so!

2. Barrett Brown says:

Oh, dude. Oh, fucking dude. Oh, fucking dude. Oh, fuck. That fucking lying piece of shit. Jesus fucking Christ.

3. The Osprey says:

Notice the wording: “Indymedia unwittingly imitates Little Green Footballs: Rachel Corrie Pancake Breakfast” (emphasis added). Now how could they be imitating anything, if LGF had never made Rachel Corrie “pancake” jokes in the first place? Johnson was challenged on this point and he responds:

Mmm, yeah, except he didn’t say “our readers.” He said “Little Green Footballs.” And further in the past when other bloggers tried to hold the behavior of his commenters against him, he regularly denied responsibility for his commenters—he claimed he was not responsible for what they say. To this day his site contains this disclaimer:

Chucky wants to have his pancakes and eat them too.

• trebob says:

Gosh, my memory is getting terrible as I get old. Didn’t Charles at one point, either on the log or in an interview, say in response to a question: “I am LGF.”?

4. Beeduwine says:

Even though CJ has been spewing shit on former friends and allies for a few years now, people have gone easy on him out of respect for his counter-jihad effort.

Seems like the gloves are off now.

5. Charles Johnson's bicycle seat says:

The Daily Kos, TPM, Democratic Underground, Moveon.org, Huffington Post – none of them link to Little Green Balls.

6. antilgfwarrior says:

Friday FlashBack!

7. snowcrash says:

Looks like McCain’s post got a mention from Instapundit. Its nice that the DoD is so prominently mentioned in McCains post.

8. MrPaulRevere says:

Soon, CJ will rant about how Patterico is trying to destroy his ‘will to live’ or some such nonsense.

9. antilgfwarrior says:

10. antilgfwarrior says:

11. DEZ says:

antilgfwarrior :

@weaselzippersWeasel Zippers
    @Lizardoid aka Husky Ponytailed Blogger At what point do you get sick of looking like a flaming hypocrite? http://tinyurl.com/6gder5v
    52 minutes ago via webRetweetReply

Hah hah.

12. Speranza says:

MrPaulRevere :

What’s with that “will to live” shit he keeps bringing up? I think he is having a nervous breakdown.

• MrPaulRevere says:

That would be a logical conclusion, I mean who in the hell uses such phrases if they are in their right mind?

13. grandjunctionite says:

241 Charles Fri, Jan 21, 2011 12:45:24pm 1
    down
    up

Ah, I see Patterico’s moving straight to stalker talking points now. Through obsessive searching of years-old comments, they’ve discovered that I once deleted a comment in which I (gasp!) used the term “Saint Pancake.”
    I had to look up the comment in the DB because I don’t remember it, and the reason is simple – the timestamp shows it was deleted very soon after I posted it, probably because I didn’t like it and regretted using it. I say “probably” because this was so long ago and so completely insignificant I have no memory of it at all. I didn’t “lie” about it – I didn’t remember it.
    I’d say this is pathetic how they’re reaching back for every tiny comment I ever made to find a smear, but if they want to waste their time I say go for it. And it’s ironic that the people who are most enthusiastically promoting the smear are exactly the same people who were banned for using it constantly — and for much worse.

• snowcrash says:

yawn….. wait! is that kittens I hear? Is someone having kittens?

• Beeduwine says:

Again, Charlie completely misses the point, which is that he was caught saying something untrue. Again. And again. And again.

• Hera says:

LOL! He didn’t start banning people for using that term until years later.

Banned for much worse? Banned for a WHOLE HELLUVA LOT LESS!

• jd says:

I agree, he never banned anyone for using the term St Pancake. His jones to ban came much later. At this time CJ was car swarming and pancaking all over the place.

He is caught in a bold faced lie here.

• wolfie says:

“…the people who are most enthusiastically promoting the smear are exactly the same people who were banned for using it constantly…”

LIAR.

• HolyRomanStuff says:

And I definitely don’t remember specifically seeking out this particular comment. And I especially don’t remember deleting it in the same intellectually lazy and half assed manner in which I “analyze” today’s events. Why? Because I am a douchebag of epic proportions. There has never been a larger receptacle of douching liquid than I.

That’s right, I am Charles Johnson, and I capture and store vaginal backwash. And I love it!

14. grandjunctionite says:

243 Charles Fri, Jan 21, 2011 12:46:01pm 0
    down
    up

And by the way, the commenter they quote, NC, is now a very well-known right wing blogger who uses a pseudonym.

15. Speranza says:

@Lizardoid I need to know, how many “Lizards” did u ban today to boost your fragile ego? 1:32 PM Jan 5th via web

weaselzippers
    Weasel Zippers

16. Speranza says:

Chuckles you washed up moonbat old hag – you read this blog religiously er I mean “scientifically” every day.

17. song_and_dance_man says:

Put a fork in that forked tongue…it’s done!

18. grandjunctionite :

241 Charles Fri, Jan 21, 2011 12:45:24pm 1
    down
    up

No ironic, since I never did it, and as I pointed out, there are plenty who are still there.

• Whatever says:

It’s also not ironic, because those of us who did use that phrase aren’t apologizing for it. This is about exactly one thing: Chuck’s denial that he said it, not using it itself.

Chuck Johnson is a St. Pancake denier.

• antilgfwarrior says:

Did you see the new chucky comment? Another one about KOS, check the flashback above.

• song_and_dance_man says:

Funny how the Foster Kid is willing to, and does, look up the comments, or personal info of others from years ago, to smear us, but anyone doing as he does makes us stalkers.

Who would have known back in the day when he rarely commented that he was such a hypocritical idiot?

• poteen says:

Has he banned anyone for calling Corrie St. Pancake? IIRC he didn’t start threatening that until recently when most of us were gone.

• HolyRomanStuff says:

Much like Alanyss Morrisette (sp?), Charles doesn’t really grasp what irony really means. I know, mental heavy weight not really understanding what the hell he is talking about – shocking! Color me, whatever.

19. Beeduwine says:

Quite entertaining this is. Thanks, Chen & Daedelus & Co. And mr. Stooge.

20. grandjunctionite says:

Here is some kind of veiled threat from Reggie old boy for yis. Lets see your Web Foo Reggie, ay what old boy?!

285 Reginald Perrin Fri, Jan 21, 2011 1:09:42pm 0
    down
    up

re: #241 Charles
    He who laughs last, laughs best.
    The stalkers may soon be getting more attention than they desire. The clever part of my plan was simple, take the politics out and expose their insanity using humor.
    They have littered the internet with hundred of hilarious comment, it will be easy to expose the Tampa mama’s boy, who fancies himself as being an internet warrior on a divine mission.

• Beeduwine says:

“The stalkers may soon be getting more attention than they desire. The clever part of my plan was simple..”

Hehehhehehhehhhe… For shits sake, what is this, Agatha Christie?

• snowcrash says:

Can he read? This isn’t about Rodan. This isn’t about Reginald. This is about Charles Johnson scrubbing comments to re write history. Oh, and his lies. Get up to speed Reginald or stay out of it.

• We should save that quote, ’cause I heard that several authors of psychology textbooks were thinking of adding a section on ‘butthurt’, and looking for good examples.

• spaceallah says:

WTF

What case does Sherlock up there thinks he just cracked? That’s even more douchetastic than CJ’s “I’ll reveal information, proving EVEN FURTHER that no one should ever trust me again. AGAIN”

• Whatever says:

Don’t worry about Reggie:

• ISpeakJive says:

The odd thing about Reggie- He’s always hatching “plans” and stuff, like a real playa, but I’ve been reading LGF for 8 years, and Reggie has never registered as a blip on my radar screen. Never even noticed his nic till I started coming here, lol.

• Daedalus says:

I laugh at a Pedophile calling someone a mama’s boy! He’s been spewing the same junk for years. What’s funny is that Chen’s the one who has destroyed CJ.

He’s boring and needs a new shtick!

• HolyRomanStuff says:

Yes, clever to “take the politics out of it and expose their insanity…”. Clever in some alternate universe where:

A.) Anyone actually believes you are clever. Ever. and,
      B.) Anyone understands what the fuck that means.

Now, I suppose, we are now going to be subjected to the really stupid part of his plan. Personally, I can’t wait, but I think it involves clowns and seltzer water, and maybe pratfall comedy. Dreamy.

• doppelganger says:

reggie is a clever pediphile, isn’t he ?

• jd says:

Reggie is Charles pet insane tool. As long as reggie laps at Charles feet he can post at LGF. if Reggie gets a pair Charles will ban him.

21. Speranza says:

song_and_dance_man :

Who would have known how intellectually bereft and what a piss poor debater he actually was?

• song_and_dance_man says:

That’s probably why he kept his mouth shut. He was an intellectual midget among giants.

• Opilio says:

All activity at LGF immediately halts while the whole of Lizardia scrambles to look up the definition of ‘bereft’.

No one notices.

22. antilgfwarrior says:

Whatever :
    Chuck Johnson is a St. Pancake denier.

Take a look at this OxyMORON. 8)

• Whatever says:

Excuse me, Mr. Godwin, but…

That’s like saying, If Adolf Hitler is really a sekrit totalitarian, don’t you think it’s a little odd that the camps have the motto “Arbeit Macht Frei”?

I mean, it’s all about freedom, dude! Anybody who can read knows that.

23. song_and_dance_man says:

And did you all know that LGF has a page up with the title: St. Pancake play debuts in Israel

24. grandjunctionite says:

Now I wish we had signatures.

I’m sure glad nobody is digging up every stupid statement I made in my youth.

Charles Johnson

25. Mark says:

255 Charles
    Fri, Jan 21, 2011 12:56:52pm
    down
    up
    re: #251 wrenchwench

The nitwits have tweeted that about 5,000 times. You’d think they’d found a new species or something.

It’s kind of cool that they have such awe of me, actually, to believe that I remember every single comment I’ve ever posted at LGF, even one-sentence comments posted 8 years ago. I must be pretty smart, and diabolical too.

• m says:

Someone needs to help the nitwit out with the math… Luddy?

It auto-tweets, I retweeted Chen’s… and then sent one to Breitbart for fun.
      She counts about as well as charles covers up his lies.

• wolfie says:

“8 years ago Charles rarely posted comments in the threads. He had to be making a special point out of something for him to write anything in a thread.”

Exactly, and if you read that particular thread and the ones right around it, it becomes crystal clear that Charles was in the very thick of the contest over what to call Corrie.
      In fact, it appears that the commenters were using “Flat Bitch” just as much until CJ personally settled on “St. Pancake.”
      HE OWNS IT.

• spaceallah says:

No, obviously you’re not very smart at all, given how sloppy you cover your tracks dude. The point was you categorically denied ever having used the term yourself, finding it distasteful, yet in context had no problems at all dropping the term.

Then you block all third party archiving sites (Craven. Coward) so that no one can tell for sure when the comment was really scrubbed. Which by the way was something you roasted other people for doing, wasn’t it? Right?

What a fucking 100,000 watt hypocrite.

• jd says:

Charles posts his identity. Part of his identity is being a St. Pancaker. He wishes to forget it, wishes to not remember it. WrenchWrench pats him on the back.

26. song_and_dance_man says:

Whatever :
    Let’s see:
    Argues like a teenage girl – check.
    Excessive butthurt – check
    Drama queen?

Drama knuckle dragging Queen.

27. antilgfwarrior :

So let me get this straight. He didn’t remember saying it, didn’t remember deleting it, and didn’t remember the subsequent YEARS of other lizards using it without any hint of disapproval from him. ‘Cause that’s what he had us believe in that emphatic “happy to address it” Guardian comment.

Yea, we’re in awe of his incredibly shitty memory. LOL

28. grandjunctionite says:

Didn’t Al Franken write something about Lies and Lying Liars who tell them.
    A fair and balanced Look at CfnJ

29. Beeduwine says:

Anybody got todays page stats? Curious about the semi-instalanche.

30. KGB says:

“I was for Saint Pancake before I was against it!”

Charles F’n Johnson

31. snowcrash says:

Are any of Charles’s fanboyz rushing to his defense? Like iceweasel and jimmah or Ludwig and Killgore?

32. CJ rattles the saber:

51 Charles
    Fri, Jan 21, 2011 2:21:58pm replyquote 2downupreport

I was going to post a reply to the latest “St. Pancake” silliness, but decided it’s not worth the effort unless the nuts get crazier than they are now.

Awww…

Writer’s block, huh.

• grandjunctionite says:

His reply’s generally consist of you photo and address don’t they?

• spaceallah says:

It isn’t that *isn’t worth the effort,* it is that you can’t defend your position because you’ve always maintained the moral high ground by saying you NEVER used the term. You’ve been presented with proof to the contrary despite your lazy ass scrubbing efforts, and having this put before you, you try to excuse it away by saying it is only one comment made years ago.

WRONG.

You’re a fucking liar, and a hypocrite.

33. grandjunctionite says:

Beeduwine :
    Buck retweeted the grand Lizard to help out. Strange.

The don’t ban me because I defended beck tweet

• HolyRomanStuff says:

Every act of individuality must be followed with acts of contrition, submission and self flagellation. Or tweets for Dear Leader. Whatever.

34. livefreeor die says:

“I’ll get those wascally stalkers if it’s the wast thing I do!”

35. Roger says:

Bunk X :
    The quote happens 45 seconds from the start of this interview:

He claims in there not only his traffic didn’t go down but “it went up a little bit”

Goofy voiced delusional. He tries to sound atheistically pious like Harry Reid

• Briareus says:

In this case, he wasn’t lying. It did go up… a little bit… and then resumed its nosedive:

36. Roger says:

And the stupid “please be nice to me, I don’t deserve it breezy laughs” throughout

37. Another important note: If you guys remember the Battle of Al-Guardian™ , the subject of “St. Pancake” overtook the subject of Geller, and CJ addressed it in a few comments (there may have been more, but there were some “removed” ones).

At one point, Johnson was so confident that he had scrubbed all the evidence that he actually taunted captdiggs for his inability to find were he used “St. Pancake”:

Can I get a …Heh?

38. Konservo says:

Nice! The DoD is getting credit where it’s due. I know you characters of myth and mirth don’t do it for the props, though.

39. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by kmetzer, Anon. Anon said: Patterico and The Other McCain notice McDumdum's hypocrisy on the St. Pancake issue: http://t.co/9UURd1V #tcot #tlot #p2 […]

40. a-naughty-mouse says:

Beeduwine :
    Buck retweeted the grand Lizard to help out. Strange.

It makes sense if you believe him that he is just about strict honesty. Chuck did really say what Politico said he said, and Beck didn’t say what he is being accused of in the thread.

Every argument that buck gets into seems to have that theme.

41. OldLineTexan says:

grandjunctionite :Now I wish we had signatures.
    I’m sure glad nobody is digging up every stupid statement I made in my youth.
    Charles Johnson

No, just the stupid statements you’re making in your dotage!

42. swamprat says:

Same pattern. Charles has it both ways. By posting a popular dem dog whistle,(that is wildly mischaracterized) and withholding outright comment, he is able to avoid accusations of specific misrepresentations, while still causing people to believe those misrepresentations.

Yuck.

He is not making a particular point, but he will post those things that tend to make the particular point that he is not making.

I have lgf on “filter”.
    I do not like to look there.
    This is not hyperbole.

43. Whatever says:

There does seem to be at least one person out there nuttier than Chuck:

44. […] The rest of the story is on Diary of Daedalus, where I found this cute video: Patterico and The Other McCain notice McDumdum’s hypocrisy on the St. Pancake issue. […]

45. Macker says:

Barrett Brown :
    Fuck Tibet. Venezuela is next.

If there’s anyone y’all should go after…it’s frakking Saudi Arabia and Iran!

46. jd says:

Charles Johnson. Liar Liar pants on fire. lol. Pick your friends and mentors wisely LGF denizens.

47. prebanned says:

I don’t know what to say.

48. refugee000 says:

Oh how I loved how he was royally nailed as a liar and hypocrite in the comments under his al-Guardian piece.

I doubt he will ever do that again. He had no control over the comments and he was reamed.

ROTFL!