Raise Your Hand if You Ever Referred to Rachel Corrie as “St. Pancake”

The other day, DoD reader ‘antilgfwarrior’ posted a little reminder about the truth and rumor aspects of the use of this disparaging nickname for Rachel Corrie. So, The Boiler Room crew thought that sorting some of this stuff out might be a perfect excuse to take The World’s Greatest Blog Search Engine™ out for another spin, and what we found was pretty enlightening…

But first, we’ll get some of the background stuff out of the way. The truth:

• “St. Pancake” is/was an entry in the LGF Dictionary, listed under “Terms that Originated on LGF”
  • “St. Pancake” was the nic of a lizard, active from ’05-’08 with over 25,000 posts (and at least 2 “hat tips“).
  • Rachel Corrie won the LGF “Fiskie” (Idiotarian) award for 2004, and this speaks for itself.
  • There is an LGF thread (still live) titled The Rachel Corrie Pancake Breakfast. In it, Charles says: “No, it’s not a joke.” (Really?)

Aside from that, there are countless front page LGF threads about Corrie that appear after her March ’03 death, and not a positive one in the bunch. In fact, looking back, CJ appears almost obsessed with her; sort of the Pam Geller of the era (the difference, of course, is that she’s, ya know…dead).

Now, in my LGF days (’06-’07), saying “St. Pancake” seemed to be A-OK, although I never used it (or felt compelled to). But sometime in between my departure and today things did change, and The Boiler Room crew discovered that it was only in the last 12 months that CJ took some real offence to its use, and threatened to ban posters who did it. We’re not sure what caused this, and given the facts above, he might want to clarify it to the current cultists.

In any case, there are literally hundreds of comments in the LGF archives that refer to Corrie as “St. Pancake”. Most of the authors haven’t been heard from in quite some time, and a few of them are some of our fellow DoD readers (we know who you are, so…).

But they’re not all gone:

And although she did use the term as well, we thought this made a better screencap:

(the link is now dead)

Exit question:  In light of CJ’s position now, do you think we’ll see our distinguished lizards above try to earn some extra karma and take it back?

155 Comments on “Raise Your Hand if You Ever Referred to Rachel Corrie as “St. Pancake””

1. antilgfwarrior says:

Here’s Chucky again…

2. antilgfwarrior says:

Isn’t this one still a current lgf poster?

You will have to click the link no url clue to find the poster.

3. The Osprey says:

Back when Kragar was truly “proud to be kafir” and not merely a CJ Buttsniffer.

Hell yeah. I still do. But I am an evil, heartless conservative. I also kick puppies on the weekend, take candy from children, and plot to keep minorities from exercising their civil rights. Oh, and force senior citizens on a diet of dogfood.

5. antilgfwarrior says:

When one condsiders Charles 100% constant stance against “St Pancake”,when viewing a thread with deleted comments,one would expect it to be neat and tidy.Not sure what the deleted comments were,but he must have been happy with the ones that he didn’t delete.

Looks like Chuckie has been caught lying again.Click on the image for full size.

All Clueless used to say was that he didn’t use it and that he didn’t really care much for it. At no time did he say “okay, enough guys, we’ve had a joke and now it’s over.” Oh hell “no he di-ent.” He was fine with it until the lefties were looking him over for membership.

6. buzzsawmonkey says:

Rachel Corrie was a real crepe.

• ISpeakJive says:

Butter goal was just to di-syrup the bulldozer….

OK, Buzz, you’re better at this than I…..

I dunno ISJ – that was pretty effin’ good.

But yes, the Buzz is the master. I don’t know where you two get it!

7. wolfie says:

Charles in CZ’s link above (“threatening to ban”) and in his Guardian piece, both from 2010, claims he ALWAYS hated that term. He is a LIAR.

Look, we all like to put the best face on our past actions. We often convince ourselves that we really didn’t go along with X or say Y. Yet, confronted with the truth, most of us won’t flat-out deny it.
    This is why CJ’s “conversion” is ultimately meaningless. You can’t actively convert without self-examination. All you can do is float on to new obsessions and new “ugly” locutions.

• Stillactive says:

With apologies to Dork_Fowlcum….. ‘I think what Chunk meant was’ that St. carries with it a religious connotation. Therefore Chunk always hated it. Gosh. That one was easy.

• Crashnburn01 says:

Like everything else these days, some liberal probably “sent” Chuckles a note showing the liberal section of the internet didn’t like that term.

Seriously? Does Chuckles really think ANYONE believes he sits there like Jabba the Hut awaiting minions to feed him information? Oh, wait a minute….

8. Yea, he “doesn’t want that image associated with LGF”.

Sorry CJ, but it always will be.

9. Barrett Brown says:

Anon has now taken down http://www.presidencia.gob.ve.

• Mosh Pit Viper says:

/b/tards: All the fun of being a revolutionary with none of the personal risk. Don’t worry, though, I’m sure Chavez will find some locals to blame and torture (really) in your virtual steady. You must be so proud.

• Barrett Brown says:

I have ex-CIA people working on this, among others. Notice I didn’t say, “Hey, random people who take any opportunity to attack me, what is your opinion on this?” Stop wasting my time with nonsense.

• Mosh Pit Viper says:

One could say the same to you. Go back to reading “The Importance of Being Important.”

• Stillactive says:

I have ex-CIA people working on this…”
        Gosh Mr. Barrette! Is that a real rubber keyboard?

(I’m sure that ex-CIA types will not take note of anything you do in the future. Be sure to plug them into anon too. I’m sure anon will be thrilled.)

• Whatever says:

Ex CIA agents!

10. Barrett Brown says:

OpVenezuela commences. E-mail me at barriticus@gmail.com to get in on the action, or keep your eyes on OpVenezuela via Google.

• wolfie says:

Daily Kos gonna help with that one? 😆

• snowcrash says:

Sincerely, good luck with this one. To hell with Chavez and internet regulation.

• grandjunctionite says:

Anarchy, the scourge of every sea
      The Antichrist aboard a rig
      With us your cutthroat thieves
      The ship went down we all near drowned
      Ya stood there on the deck
      Till the Spanish came and flogged yer arse
      And dragged you from the wreck

They threw a rope around yer neck
      To watch you dance the jig of death
      Then left ya for the starvin’ crows
      Hoverin’ like hungry whores
      One flew down plucked out yer eye
      The other he had in his sights
      Ya snarled at him, said leave me be
      I need the bugger so I can see

Flogging Molly

• Briareus says:

And what’s keeping you from starting your own blog? Not tough to do, bra.

11. jacksontn says:

I was banned on a post for asking IceWeasel what St. Pancake meant? That was my last post at LGF. He said something along the lines of “I have had all of this I can take” or close to that I don’t remember the exact date. I really did not totally know what it was all about as it was before my time. But, I had a time-out before that for calling IceWeasel a Nasty Bitch. Oh, and another time-out for saying something about Kilgore. Fun times! Fun Times!

• snowcrash says:

JACKSON!!! You were awesome when you called her a nasty bitch.

• wolfie says:

Quite concur!
        That was one of the finest matches against the Weasel that I’ve seen. She was so damned sure that she could intimidate you.

• From what I’ve gathered. calling iceweasel a “bitch” is the death knell over there. It got buzz banned, and ludwig and jackson here a timeout. There are probably other casualties.

Maybe she is a bitch, but saying it is obviously what she’s goading you into when you engage her. Resist the temptation for that or any other ad hominem, and she can be beaten using the other weapons of flame war.

• Bagua says:

Quite also concur!

That was epic, and before I started to target the Iceweasel as I recall.

• Gosh if it bothers him that much, we should bring it up more often!

• Mandingo Warrior says:

Actually, this intel would be great in the hands of Breitbart or someone who is in a flame war with Chuck. It shows incredible inconsistency in his thought process, and is a testament to his flip flopping (pun intended).

Atthe very least, he can’t be considered a “compassionate liberal”, at the very most it shows his revisionist historical record and inconsistent “free speech” tendencies.

• doppelganger says:

she was and is a nasty bitch

• snowcrash says:

Damned straight! Jax just kept spinning the tunes. lalalala I can’t hear you weasel (you bitch). LOL

• Whatever says:

But you didn’t tell her “fuck you … sideways … bitch”. Your remark will always be second best.

12. Callahan23 says:

I still used Saint Pancake just today on FaceBook and people liked it. Though I wasn’t banned for posting anything oh so “offensive” – I just did the minor mistake of posting with my usual nic on the ‘genteel blog’ C² (the pony-tailed-one deemed that a ‘stalker blog’ WTF !!!). That was it, one morning I tried to get back on lgf I discovered that I couldn’t. I never even looked back much. My new digs are so much better.

13. doppelganger says:

chick made fun of Rachel Corrie. MADE FUN OF HER DEATH on his blog so he can’t claim any moral high ground now

I thought the term St Pancake was and is one of the all time great terms !

Basement Cat :

Meh.

No dog can bite me and live.

I know, Basement Kitteh…..there is still a chihuahua in the neighborhood we are searching for.

15. DEZ says:

Callahan23 :

CJ is a dork holster.

16. snowcrash says:

I can’t remember if I did or not, so I will raise my hand and say yes. I probably did but in the later times. I was there 07-09.

17. DEZ says:

St. PANCAKE!
    Bite me CJ.

18. coldwarrior says:

st pancake? oh yes… raises hand…guilty as charged!

19. The Osprey says:

Isn’t the Rachel Corrie Pancake Breakfast Hour a show on National Palestinian Radio? I believe it’s on right before Car Bomb Talk with Khaliq and Khalaq.

20. Formercorpsman says:

Of course the Fiskie was awarded, but that was of the laissez-faire era. Charles was being tricked when he hosted that award.

21. Speranza says:

Chen you are doing a fantastic job1 So Killgore Trout, Kragar, tigger2005, Dark_Falcon, Alouette -all follow the pied piper and repeat the Johnson line. How soon before the term “Arafish” becomes verboten?

• nil says:

Johnson used ‘arafish’ in comments around 7 times.

Other, lesser, loyal, lizards used ‘arafish’ about 4161 times in comments.

It does sound kind of racist doesn’t it? In the context of present-day LGF I mean.

22. Speranza says:

jacksontn :

We used to wonder over at blogmocracy when you were going to get banned.

23. Speranza says:

Raises hand – I did use the term “St Pancake” myself.

• Briareus says:

I have never spoken the words “Saint Pancake.” Ever. Just don’t ask me how many times I’ve typed them.

24. buzzsawmonkey says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :

If I recall, it was not merely observing that the weasel was, is, and shall be a bitch that brought Turtle Wrath down upon my head, but my observation that her position as Bellatrix Lestrange to the Mad King’s Voldemort was likely due to her being a skilled and frequent practitioner of certain oral skills that have nothing whatsoever to do with rhetoric.

• buzzsawmonkey says:

I should, perhaps, add that there is no “beating” someone who has no use for fact or logic, but merely starts braying “I won! Butthurt! I won! Butthurt!” in endless cycle, and who has the power to knock you off the board if you interrupt the litany. It’s boring and pointless.

25. m says:

ChenZhen, Dorian & Bunk on the radio show! ! ! Y’all join in!

26. m says:

*raises both hands*

27. demos says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :

Quite concur. And just call her a cunt. Less typing than ‘bitch’.

28. Speranza says:

m :
    *raises both hands*

We all are guilty as charged.

29. demos says:

Speranza :

He said ARAFISH!

30. OldLineTexan says:

I did, and I would do it again.

St. Pancake!

/see?

31. livefreeor die says:

*raises hands and jumps up and down*
    That was one of my Top Ten favorite threads. Other goodies were 1)the one where the Truther guy “recreated” 9/11 with a rabbit cage to show the planes couldn’t have destroyed the WTC and 2)the live coverage of the million man march.

32. WASVS says:

Hey chuckie

PANCAKE, PANCAKE, PANCAKE, PANCAKE!

33. doppelganger says:

It’s just so priceless to show how turds like kkkkkilgore trout et al change their core beliefs to please the master.

in 2006, Chucky was against radical islam, and regular islam too and it was open season on the RoPMA all day every day. and the regulars got with the program.

then chuck went insane and fixated on Pam and Glenn beck 24/7 and these same turds who only days and weeks earlier were on the anti islam bandwagon, are suddenly of the opinion that the greatest threat to the world is Robert Spencer and the anti Jihad blogosphere

kkkkilgore, you have ZERO intellectual street cred kale boy !

34. mtc says:

I had some saintly pancakes for breakfast yesterday. They were flat and yummy too!

35. Macker says:

The Osprey :

Y’know…that might not be a bad idea…a Rachel Corrie St. Pancake Breakfast at IHOP!

36. Bagua says:

jacksontn :

Hey mate! Great to read your posts once again.

Macker :

I sometimes wonder if selrahC was sexually abused by some Catholic priest when he was young.

Just wait…..it’ll be the next in his series of fictional abuses and persecutions.

38. Bagua says:

Barrett Brown :
    Anon has now taken down http://www.presidencia.gob.ve.

Ha! Well done.

• Briareus says:

Doesn’t look like anyone took anything down. Taking credit for something that never happened, Barrette?

• Barrett Brown says:

They brought it back up, internet detective. Notice how the guy above you said “well done”? That’s because he clicked on it and saw that it was down, as did the people from this blog who volunteered to help as a result. Seriously, knock off this shit. There’s already site where you get points for libeling me. You’re obsessed with it. Go there.

39. For the record: I would just like to say that this list is my no means comprehensive, since having the old LGFer “St. Pancake” (and even the new LGFer “Mr. Pancakes”) complicates this stuff. Also, there are many, many more general “pancake” jokes that we didn’t dive into.

So, in summary, “St. Pancake” was very much a part of LGF from early ’03 till at least late ’08 then the lizard with the name left, and to a lesser extent until just last year. For CJ to say that people aren’t going to “associate” that term with LGF is laughable, especially because it dots the comments section of virtually every thread that is on the subject of Corrie anyway. He’s more than a few years late on that one.

Maybe I should add the “stuff cj forgot to delete” tag.

40. nesoi says:

Macker :

I wish I was witty enough to refute this comment.

41. Has anyone seen a lizard take it back yet? I’d really like to see the karma flowing again over there.

42. swamprat says:

He seeks plausible deniablity by claiming that he did not use the term “St. Pancake.

But he posted many threads promoting the expression, allowed a commentator to use the nick without any reprimand, allowed it to be put in the LGF dictionary (which he supported)

Plausible deniabiliy is long gone.

It is time for yes-I-was,-but-not-no-more.

AKA, I used to be just as crazy as my friends, but I’m much better now!

Hattip to: a long forgotten episode of “nightcourt”.

43. garycooper says:

“BB and MPV, sittin’ in a tree,
    CIA and KGB.”

🙄

44. I probably did, but the boiler room crew would have to go back a ways into the archives- it’s been awhile since Bride of Flat Stanley was relevant….

45. Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

My hands are down.

46. beeduwine says:

Never did refer to her as St Pancake. Found it quite crude, actually. I guess that makes me a better and purer person than Charles.

• ThreeHundred says:

So would that also mean that it makes you a better and purer person than anyone that used the term? Just seeking clarification. I don’t think I ever used the term either, but it was out of not giving a rats ass about bulldozer grease.

• Briareus says:

“Saint Bulldozer Grease” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

• Beeduwine says:

Nah. It’s just a crude term is all. Well deserved, but crude.

And I score a meager 3 out of 10 on the purity scale, but that is still better than Charles who is a virtual STD.

• beeduwine says:

Ah, I see what you mean. No, the point was that Charles accuses the Bannees of hateful and crude language while denying ever having used the term St. Pancake himself – and he virtually _owns_ the term. At the same time there are a number of posters here that never used this term. And that is ironic.

• wolfie says:

Yes, that is exactly the point. The hypocrisy and the irony.

I don’t know if I ever used the term “St. Pancake? or not. It would not surprise me in the least if I had.

The Rachel Corrie jokes were on the edge, and sometimes for me they fell off. At other times I found them wickedly funny.
        So it goes with black humor.

47. ThreeHundred says:

General Chen, thanks for the great work, and enjoyed listening to your participation in blogtalkradio of blogmoc earlier today.

• Stillactive says:

God’a ditto that. Is this a weekly thing? Is the schedule announced ahead of time? I’d like to make the next one when it starts.

48. Sociofart says:

Totally OT: (hope this link works)

It’s amazing what you can find on the interwebs now days.

49. Sociofart says:

So now I’ll try this.
    click on webad to enlarge.

[link removed by author’s request]

50. Lance Murdock says:

Chen,

If possible, I would like to make the St. Pancake Fiskie my avatar.

It would be a lovely daily reminder of what an asshat CJ is.

• We can’t provide an avatar specifically for you, however you can make it your own by setting it up on http://en.gravatar.com/ . The gravatar will show up when you comment here if you use whichever email in our comment form (or any other blog that uses gravatar, and there’s many).

Or, I can add it to our list of “DoD gravatars” in our sidebar, thereby making it available for everyone to use.

• Lance Murdock says:

Chen,

Thanks for the link. But on that note, I think you should add the St. Pancake Fiskie to the DoD list of avatars since CJ went out of his way stating that he was always against the name while in reality, he embraced while running 1.0.

• our gravatars show up pretty small on this blog, so I added a cropped version with Corrie in the sidebar. Everyone is free to use it. 😉

51. Sociofart says:

ADMINS.
    PLEASE KILL MY #123
    DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE SPAM THING.
    THANKS!

52. Nodrog says:

Rachel Corrie discussed on Nodrog’s Greatest hits, quoting from a post/flamewar I had on LGF on this subject on January 13, 2004.

• wolfie says:

That seems like a fair criticism to me.

(I say “seems” because I can only guess at the content of thread you were discussing. It was a couple of years before my own participation at LGF.)

53. poteen says:

Don’t remember if I ever did but I’ll remedy that now.
    St. Pancake and Iceweasel are both obnoxious, Arafish smelling twats.
    There 3 for 1. 🙂

54. Speaking of the Fiskie, even the image URL on LGF is telling:

littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/Pictures/CorrieFiskie-X.gif

What do you suppose the ‘X’ represents? The tenth version?

55. Lily says:

Nope never referred to her in that way.

56. nil says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :
    Speaking of the Fiskie, even the image URL on LGF is telling:
    littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/Pictures/CorrieFiskie-X.gif
    What do you suppose the ‘X’ represents? The tenth version?

Well the ‘X’ couldn’t be an after-the-fact replacement for ‘pancake’ because Charles has unambiguously declared in forums as prestigious as The Guardian that he never referred to Corrie in that fashion…

57. nil says:

wolfie :
    …I don’t know if I ever used the term “St. Pancake? or not. It would not surprise me in the least if I had….

Magick 8 Ball sez – ‘No you didn’t, the only Rachel and pastries you found commment-worthy were Rachel Ray and donuts’.

• wolfie says:

Wow! That IS magical!

And it makes me very, very…….. hungry! 😆

• snowcrash says:

I hate the idea that all the stupid things I said are still out there to be dredged up. There is a big lesson in all this. Should have changed my nic. Lol

• a friend says:

Just forward 1000 original, unmarked LGF karma points via the DoD contact form and you have nothing to worry about.

• snowcrash says:

Oooh…my first ransom comment. Left the karma points behind, would you consider Big G cereal box tops?

58. nil says:

Or wait for Johnson to screw up his courage and finally delete everything from LGF, pre-2008, like he really, really wishes he could do, and which he’d do in a heartbeat if he thought no one was watching.

59. nil says:

snowcrash :

No way – precious LGF Karma points or nothing.

60. Testing my gravatar.

61. cygnusa81 says:

Testing one more time. Hopefully it will work this time.

62. guy says:

Exit question: In light of CJ’s position now, do you think we’ll see our distinguished lizards above try to earn some extra karma and take it back?

i gotta say, what a fucking conundrum that’s gonna be for them, visa vis the stinging dare chenzen has effectively posted here. they will twist on this for a solid month. it will be lord of the flies for a month.

charles will ultimately intervene, applying his standard soft power strategy for when he is aware of scrutiny: two paragraphs of the scourge of “wingnut stalkers,” one paragraph of ludicrous self-exculpation of the offense, one half paragraph of “i have changed”, one half “no longer acceptable,” an official pardon for past offenses for the lizards who have changed as he, two more paragraphs of “stalkers under my bed” and a ten PM update about palin or beck, or some cousin of a state representative’s administrative assistant purchasing a blade in excess of three inches somewhere.

63. Briareus says:

Barrett Brown :

Meh. It was offline for a couple of hours. You and yours accomplished nothing. Let’s stick with mocking LGF.

64. demos says: