LGF Karma Hall of Fame: “Palandine”

I probably should have posted this in the first part of the series, but hopefully it isn’t too late to add a little background…

That was something that I posted back when the comment ratings system was in its infancy, at a time when the whole idea was relatively controversial amongst the lizards.  Over three years later, I have to say that my thoughts were fairly prescient.   After all, the system certainly has created plenty of entertainment and drama, and even though there really hasn’t been any tangible use for the accumulated karma itself (that I’ve seen), we’ve witnessed lizards using the “dings” in cliques,  to deliver ultimatums to each other, and even as a sole reason for giving more updings.   We’ve seen long-time lizards banned because of it, as some form of negative reinforcement for the rest of the hive.  Come to think of it, I think the sociologists would scratch their heads, and the lab rats would snicker (’cause they can actually use the food pellets at the end of the maze).

Anyway, I’m glad CJ stuck with it, because even if I’m no longer a participating member, I can still use the results to make our points and have a good laugh.  So, moving forward with the series, featuring comments ranked higher than CJ’s all-time high of 69

Electrocution Warning to Lizard Lurkers: The karma you are about to see is at a level that is well beyond your wildest upding fantasies (given the haggard state of LGF), so try not to get any drool or spooge on your laptop, OK? Diary of Daedalus is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any injuries which may result (directly or indirectly) from viewing the following karma score.

Today’s feature is another one from early 2009, from “Palandine”:

From the thread: littlegreenfootballs.com/article/33113_Obama_Insults_Disabled_People

Status of Lizard: Blocked

All-time karma placement: 7th

35 Comments on “LGF Karma Hall of Fame: “Palandine””

1. nil says:

The instances of super-high karma have declined since karma was introduced in the Fall of 2007, as this chart shows:

highest karma each week since 9/1/07

My guess was that it was a combination of group-think and risk avoidance. Those may be factors (although how they’d be measured is not clear) but surprisingly (to me) obvious cause for decline in instances of super-high karma turns out to be the decline in the number of unique people commenting on LGF. The chart below shows that – number of unique commenters on LGF, measured weekly, since 9/1/07 (since that’s when karma begain). Back in 9/07 it wasn’t unusual for 2000 different people to be making comments on LGF each week. Now it’s down to around 250 unique posters per week. Johnson’s successful purges have worked, though it’s a bit of a Pyhrric victory for him it seems.

unique posters (per week)

h/t: Whatever, ISTE

• Roger says:

lol! Charles Nodickens never dreamed his little pride and joy would eventually be used to analyze him:-)

2. Doppelganger says:

Paladine’s brother is also smarter than Icarus

3. Metatron says:

Churlz haz teh “stomach flu” today. Translation: drank too much, undercooked porkchops.

I don’t think “stomach flu” exists except in the minds of self diagnosing lowlifes. Maybe I’m wrong.

Also, apparently he has a loo. Iz dat like a bidet?

4. Doppelganger says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :Gosh, with “loo”, “piss off”, and an appearance at Al-Guardian, CJ might be trying to transform himself into a Brit. He’s going to have to work on that accent, though.

that’s because he’s been in character too much as iceweasel

• Whatever says:

There’s something that ain’t the way it appears going on. If you get Chuck, UMH, Weasel, and Jimmah all in the same room, you don’t get four people. Maybe not even three.

• HolyRomanStuff says:

It is the mindset of certain amongst those who consider themselves more European than American. They take on the accent, for some strange reason, which in turn seems to fuel their delusions of being more enlightened than the fly over country rubes with whom they are forced to share a country.

Funny, I met more than one of these types of American ex-pats in Belgium and other locations around Europe who realized, too late, that while they did not feel they fit in in the Good Old US of A, they *definitely* didn’t fit in in Europe. Talk to one of these odd characters the first time they realize that they cannot get a latte at 2 in the morning, and you will see a bitter, angry, disillusioned person.

I say, be who you are. Me, I’m a redneck, which is pretty easy to see because at least three of my fingers have been blown off in various fireworks accidents. Drunken accidents, of course.

• KGB says:

Absolutely true. My ex-girlfriend was/is just one of these types. When we were traveling around the Far East in the 90s, she would invariably affect the most ridiculous accent when engaged in conversation with a Brit (we’re both Yanks). Even though I was a lefty myself in those days, I found the whole theater of it highly grating. Once or twice she commented on it in private and seemed almost regretful. However, at some level of her subconscious she believed that speaking that way added to her intelligence.

5. Whatever :So “skip to m’loo” is what you do when you have the trots?

snert….giggle…bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha !!!!!

6. FishFearMe says:

Chunk wishes he was any kind of man at all. The pussy.

7. Archonix says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :

I’ve had it up to here with “anglophiles” who’s only interest is ingratiating themselves with the kensington set. My experience of Americans of a certain mindset on this subject has not been particularly pleasant, especially when they’re introduced to real English culture as opposed to that snobbish elitist wanking they call culture in the Westminster bubble. It’s rather like trying to bathe a cat. Pointless, painful and out feel dirty afterwards.

California can keep him. Bring me some real Americans, they fit right in. 🙂

• Whatever says:

Now you know how we feel when we run into Boris whose idea of the US is what they see from Hollyweird. Really sucks when the media end up speaking for entire countries. But that’s the way it is. I’ll bet Indians aren’t happy about how Bollywood makes them look.

As far as that goes, the French outside of Paris aren’t bad sorts, but the Parisians end up defaulting to speaking for all French. We’re all cursed with our urban betters.

• coldwarrior says:

What? The Indians don’t randomly break into elaborately choreographed song and dance routines?

• dwells38 says:

Took a 2 week trip to England in ’07 (was there also for 3 days in ’92). I don’t know why idiots like Madonna bother to affect the fake accent (I’m sure she’s dropped it now, though). The people there are the nicest down-to-earth folk and they accept Americans as they are. We weren’t in London much accept for 2 days at the end. The rest of time in Brighton, Westminster, Gloucester, Costwolds and York. I wasn’t sure what to expect having heard some would accost you on a bus because of their hatred of Bush. But I experienced none of that. They were quite open and friendly. And the foreigners we met there from Pakistan and Bangledesh (working people) seemed so grateful to be in such a wonderful country. The Bangledeshi was almost tearful and declared he’d been to Florida 3 times with wife and daughter to visit Disneyworld.

• Whatever says:

Same reason why Hillary Clinton fakes a Southern accent, and Barack Obama pretends to be black?

8. snowcrash says:

At the time, the karma ratings seemed like a good idea. Why not let commenters know how much you appreciate reading their comments? What could possibly go wrong? What went wrong is how Charles and others used how you rated a comment as information against you! How messed up is that? The rating system was a big FAIL.

9. Palandine says:

I’d totally forgotten about that. Yeah, for someone who didn’t post much, I had absurdly good karma.

I thought the karma stuff was stupid and clique-ish at the time, but it does show the change in the zeitgeist over there over time. Until the day McCain picked Palin, us right-wingers were highly thought of. Then McCain picked a woman as his running mate, and it was all over.

I kind of wished I’d flounced. I just stopped posting when Charles’s hatred of women and Christianity became too strong, and was banned in absentia.

• Whatever says:

These days, that highly updinged comment would be considered a flounce.

• So you don’t know the reason? You didn’t post on a forbidden site? Downding the wrong comment? etc.

• Palandine says:

I posted under “Palandine” on the eeeeeeevil Ace of Spades blog. I believe I mentioned Charles high-schoolish reaction (“If I don’t like someone, you can’t either, or you’re not my friend!”) to his former hero Penn Jillette being a friend of Glenn Beck’s. I think that’s what did it.

And I regret nothing. 🙂 Ace (and Hillbuzz) did really stellar work on the Arizona shootings yesterday and today. And they post actual content that they generated. Poor Charles, he’s become just a conduit to pass on lefty links and videos of similarly washed-up musicians, with no thought of his own. Bless his heart.

10. jordanduram says:

Whatever :

So “skip to m’loo” is what you do when you have the trots?

ROFLMPAO!

11. FYI: I have 3 more of these threads scheduled this week, and they’ll appear at 11am EST each day. Then we unveil the #1 karma comment of all time!

12. garycooper says:

Why isn’t anyone documenting Fatass’s insane ravings about the Arizona tragedy? He’s been wrong on every count so far. 😆

He’s more laughable than despicable at this point, but he’s still despicable.

• Internet Septic tank Engineer says:

Um… I do believe several screen captures have been done. Just in case Charles “accidentally” loses something, we can help him find it again.