Stuff CJ Forgot to Delete: sneaky pop-ups

My laptop at home can swat the dreaded LGF pop-up ad when I stop over, but for some reason, the PC in the employee lounge can’t seem to hold it back.  They are kind of sneaky, too, ’cause I don’t always notice that the thing has managed to open a new window (which means that the trashy cyber leaflet is left for the next guy who sits down in front of that computer).

Why a pop-up ad, anyway? I mean, c’mon.

So, because CJ’s done more 180s than Shaun White, and since the website is one of his most cherished toys, I figured that there’s gotta be something on this in the archives.  Sure enough, I hit paydirt:

I totally agree.  +1000 Updings!    (Or, in the words of Alouette)

Update: OK, so I’m a few months late on this one, but it is hilarious nonetheless:

57 Comments on “Stuff CJ Forgot to Delete: sneaky pop-ups”

1. Internet Septic Tank Engineer says:

1 Francis Barton
    Thu, May 17, 2001 5:19:00am
    This sounds much better to me than pop-up windows in front of what you’re trying to see.

Not as good as no ads at all, of course.

Hey Francis, for just $10 a month you can visit Little Green Footballs and be Ad free!

2 Lea
    Thu, May 17, 2001 5:49:37am replyquote 0 down up report

And, invariably, the ad is for one of those X10 cameras.

Lea, and click on the link and you will be directed to the LGF Amazon store where you can buy a camera and I get some of your money!

3 Jeni
    Thu, May 17, 2001 9:08:08am

You’re not the only one. It drives me bonkers. Whoever came up with the concept should be stabbed, shot, hung, drawn, quartered, and then *really* hurt.

Jeni, I will not allow death threats and incitement to violence and nasty things on my blog that I built myself.

Well I will if it gets me traffic and sponsors and money….

2. LGF subscription: $10

DoD subscription: $0

Finding an all-caps THANK YOU for the privilege of viewing one pop-up ad per day: Priceless

3. RoboMonkey says:

“After you do this, any popups that might appear will only show up once in a 24-hour period.” — and he got thanked in upper case for that?

A better solution, and they exist although Charles will ban anyone who mentions them on his site, would block the popups from appearing AT ALL.

4. RoboMonkey says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :
    LGF subscription: $10
    DoD subscription: $0

It’s not “one pop-up ad per day”. It’s EACH pop-up ad will only occur once per day. “ANY popups that might appear”

5. Crashnburn01 says:

Fatass was a little e.e. cummings back then wasn’t he?

I guess during the last ten years he has learned to love the bomb (and stop worrying), as it were….

6. garycooper says:

i can actually smell the contempt the fatass has, for his few remaining minions and curious onlookers who just want to view the smoking wreckage. hard to believe anyone would pay for the paper-thin content of that site, and impossible to believe advertisers make any money from their ads there, which are viewed only by basement cats.

7. RoboMonkey says:

Why aren’t my comments going through?

8. Formercorpsman says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :LGF subscription: $10
    DoD subscription: $0

Chen, I’m pissing myself. This is hysterical. I swear, everyday here is like watching Lucy pull the ball up on Charlie.

Rent free baby, rent free.

9. nil stooge says:

ChenZhen, as The Minotaur :
    LGF subscription: $10
    DoD subscription: $0

Actually, if that’s still working at all, it only ever pretended to limit each of the many pop-up ads to once a day.

I.e. the math is P_popups x N_times_per_day > P_popups x 1_time_per_day > 1

Also, unless registration has changed, he’s made it easy to get tangled up in the “subscribe for $10” procedure simply via injudicious clicking during registration.

$10/month for content so terse 10,000+ top posts (out of 37k+) could have fit entirely into a 140 character tweet. LOL.

10. doriangrey1 says:

Hey Chuckies Fools… For $0.00 per month, you can install Ad Blocker and Ad Blocker Plus in Firefox and make 100 percent of Chuckies ad’s go bye bye…

• Archonix says:

Add noscript and suddenly his horrendously badly programmed site starts to move at something approaching a normal response time.

• Beeduwine says:

Yeah, but then Chuck would not make any money. You didn’t think about that now did you?

Oh, and pop-up adds are not a sign that traffic is down. Of course not. He’s doing better than ever.

Because he found a magical way of converting karma from banned users into unique pageviews, and thereby money. That’s why ya’ll are banned by Charles. Or should I say _Herr_ Charles.

11. docweasel says:

Don’t any of the people involved use FireFox? Even IE has a pop-up blocker these days.

I remember one time there was a discussion on LGF and how great it was to be a subscriber and not see ads and I piped up saying I used FF with AdBlock and I was unaware LGF even _had_ any ads, and chuckles deleted the comment and banned the account the next day when he woke up around noon, but not before a couple dozen people quoted it in their own comments flaming me for not being “supportive” of the great LGF.

I have 4 more, and since reg is always open now I can get as many as I want, so being subtly subversive is easier now.

I got a long run of subversive comments in the other day and managed to avoid getting banned because I don’t think chuckles completely understood what I was driving at.

12. hey, did you guys see this?

Iran ‘smuggled arms’ to Hezbollah on ambulances
    (AFP) – 16 hours ago

BEIRUT — Iran used Red Crescent ambulances to smuggle weapons and agents into Lebanon during Hezbollah’s 2006 war with Israel, a leaked US diplomatic cable showed on Monday.

The 2008 classified cable which originated in Dubai quotes an Iranian source as saying the Iranian Red Crescent was used as a cover by members of the elite Revolutionary Guard to enter Lebanon during the conflict.

i was wondering if the fatass touted his blogs pointing out the situation as it happened. or, i should say, zombie and the other commenters….

13. nil stooge says:

buzzsawmonkey :

That’s probably a bit of fantastical metaphor, not that Johnson hasn’t optimized his site to maximize page view statistics (e.g. the new page that pops up every time a comment link is clicked).

But if he did convert karma, here’s the top few candidates:

nic                 status  karma  comments year
    charles             active  174286 44594    2004
    sharmuta            active  110185 73419    2007
    sanfranciscozionist active  80896  36023    2008
    mandymanners        blocked 77769  127281   2006
    killgore_trout      active  71389  69695    2005
    buzzsawmonkey       blocked 70308  1        2005
    gus_802             active  70301  41941    2008

• Beeduwine says:

I’ve been updinging Lud all weekend so that he will make that list of honor. You betcha.

• snowcrash says:

Look at Buzz, 70k for one comment. He is soooo good. LOL

• buzzsawmonkey says:

Heh. Now that’s value for commenting.

Actually, I had at least 45,000 comments or so when Mad King Yertle dropped the axe. I was closing in on whatever Sharmuta’s comment tally was at the time, at about a 1.5 to 1 ratio—notwithstanding avid negatives from the Weasel, her slave-hubby, and their hyena pack.

14. Bureaucat says:

buzzsawmonkey :Beeduwine: Can you explain that? That is, how the “karma conversion” that you alluded to actually works?

Speak of the Debbil. Buzzsaw you are the guy who I got slapped down for asking about on LGF. The other posters here seem to think I’m going to get myself banned for posting here.

I wanted to sign on to Blogmocracy to talk about the state budget crisis but I couldn’t get the registration e-mail. In the process I saw someone quoted me re: my asking for references from Kilgore Trout.

Small world.

Anyway – you still doing the irreverent poetry thing?

• buzzsawmonkey says:

Am I still doing the poetry thing? Yes, indeed, here and there—in fact, it was the act of posting my poetic farewell to Mad King Yertle here and elsewhere that turned what was originally maybe a “timeout” (pttthbthhhhh) into a nuclear deletion of all my posts.

• Beeduwine says:

Heh. You pissed the King off so royaly it was poetic. He now refers to you as “_that_ guy”. Now there are plenty of guys in the world, but, like CJ states, you are the man!

• Bureaucat says:

Whoa! Deleted all of your posts!?

Some of the lyrics were good. I hope you saved a few.

• Daedalus says:

Are you using the email here and was this the one you tried to register with?

• Bureaucat says:

Yes. As DaddyG. I also tried my secondary e-mail with the Bureaucat nik.

If I could get Bureaucat with my primary e-mail that would be the best. I’ve probably screwed that up.

15. kansas says:

Oh boy, dipshit has a bash Sarah Palin thread up. How original.

snowcrash :

We have plenty of posters at the Blogmoc that do not like Palin, but it never dives into the gutter like it does at LGF. We save that for Obama. LOL

Exactly. I don’t see it has a personal dislike of Palin per se, but more a dislike for the role she is asserting at this time. There are people who think there is too much of a “money money” aspect to what she does, and there are others, like me, who like her personally, but think she would do the GOP’s changes for retaking the Presidency more harm than good if she ran for the nomination in 2012. Even so, these are policy and political differences, not ad hominem and misogyny.

Bureaucat :

Whoa! Deleted all of your posts!?

Some of the lyrics were good. I hope you saved a few.

He’s constantly coming up with new ones that suprass the one previously. Stick around and enjoy.

18. buzzsawmonkey says:

Bureaucat :
    Whoa! Deleted all of your posts!?
    Some of the lyrics were good. I hope you saved a few.

Yeah, Mad King Yertle nuked the lot. He saved them, though—he merely blocked them from being viewed by the groundlings—and pores over them searching for nonexistent clues to nonexistent sockpuppets. What a tool.

I saved pretty much everything from my time there (excepting single-line cracks) before I took my leave; lyrics, original verses, and mini-essays/discussions. I’ve toyed with the notion of suing him, both for wrongful retention of words not his (he does not own the words of others) and for defamation on the grounds that he has falsely accused me of sock-puppetry, and forcing him to disgorge a full printout of every word I ever posted on his site, but frankly he is not worth the time.

• Bureaucat says:

I agree with the “not worth the time” thing. Netiquette is a very nebulous thing. But it is his sandbox and I guess if he wants to make posters-non-gratis out of regulars he can.

For what its worth I’m still registered. I’m not going to go out of my way to pick a fight but I’m also not going to cut myself off from old correspondance pals either. It is kind of fun to see some old names here.

• buzzsawmonkey says:

I’m not talking “netiquette”; I’m talking about his illegal seizure of expression he does not own. It’s a matter of copyright law, not “etiquette”—and the rules on the former are quite clear, thank you; Mad King Yertle is a thief, as well as a defamatory liar.

But it is not worth suing him, merely because I took the precaution of saving the material before giving him the opportunity to behave according to his most swinish instincts.

Once Charles finds out you’re posting here, the decision will be taken out of your hands. Kilgore, Gus and Ludwig troll here looking for “the disloyal” and believe me, Chaz will be notified you came here. You might not get banned right away, because he’s still attempting to perpetuate the myth that he doesn’t ban for disagreeing with him. But believe me, a week from now, a month from now, you are going to find your account blocked.

• Basement Cat says:

If it’s his sandbox, is that why he keeps trying to cover up his Number 1 and Number 2?

Or is he gonna say “I don’t need no steenkin’ sandbox!” and become completely unhousebroken? Litter-ally?

Bureaucat :

Yes. As DaddyG. I also tried my secondary e-mail with the Bureaucat nik.

Have no fear. Mighty Daedalus will remedy all….

Bureaucat :

IBut it is his sandbox and I guess if he wants to make posters-non-gratis out of regulars he can.

I agree. My problem with him is that he would summarily block people’s accounts and then proceed to smear them on his blog without affording them any opportunity to proffer a defense. The Blogmocracy came about because those he banned and literally lied about after their banning took the advice he so often gave when he was about to kick someone out – “Get your own blog!” Rodan did. And as people were banned, they joined. Then Johnson found out not only did people get their own blog, they were treating him in the precise manner he treated every liberal blog while he was still “on the right.”

21. nil stooge says:

I’d like to take this opportunity to update my dead pool picks.

And, Killgore’s doubled-down on his Manning as Oath Keeper prediction: it’s all going to come out in the trial. And Assange’s a right-winger, Trout’s proved it, more settled science. And of course billions die as the earth warms 4C in the next 40 years. The feevah is hot in teh swamp today.

22. Flouncy McDownDing says:

The old slavery / Confederacy / dump on the South meme is back tonight at LGF … and someone dropped this doozy explicitly comparing slavery and fossil fuels:

“Note that a very similar parallel argument regrading the use of fossil fuels vs. alternative sources of fuels exists, and is being pushed by the GOP.”

23. Flouncy McDownDing says:

…And still fanning Northern triumphalism to “punish” the miscreant South:

“Perhaps we should march the First Armored Division down the middle of Atlanta as a ‘celebration’?”

24. Sociofart says:

Arachne :

Yup!
    Bureaucat:
    When you get sticked, that will mean E G will be alone (at least overtly)

25. stonemason says:

Clean up downstairs (Nazi thread), the link to the idiot site is back.

26. dwells38 says:

Don’t consider myself any expert on words but did he not confuse the word paradigm with the word tactic? Of course, in 2001 he was a mere lad in his mid-forties. Nowadays he wouldn’t just use a word because he thinks it makes him sound smart.

Reminds me of friend of mine who is actually pretty smart but didn’t read a lot. So he thought when people said anecdote it was another meaning of the word antidote. Went on for several months referring to clever antidotes. LOL!